How To Get Good Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Anyone got some pointers on how to most effectively use your gear to get a good sound?

I know "good tone" depends on who is listening.

I never seem to be able to get a sound I'm happy with. I have quality gear but I guess I just don't how to use it to it's potential.

Right now I'm using a Warmoth Gecko 5 with alder body, wenge neck, and flame maple top. It is equiped with a Kahler bridge and Seymour Duncan ASB-5 pickups. My amp is a SWR Workingman's 15 Combo. I have a Sansamp Bass Driver DI for live situations and for use as a stompbox when I want a tube sound.

My tone always seems to be too boomy or too clanky. I want a smooth sound with good punch and nice definition. (Duh!)

Any advice, tips, suggestions, insults?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Boost around 250-300Hz. You're welcome! :)

Of course this is a YMMV, dependent on a lot of variables. But IMO goosing that range helps you cut through the mix, and gives power to notes played up the fretboard.
  3. kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    good tone is a very subjective thing, and a never ending quest. I have come to realize that a workable tone is better than what we perceive to be the perfect tone. so many things affect us bassists, that to be anal about tone kills the joy of grooving. sometimes a tone that is not our "ideal" will bring out some new aspect of our playing, making us think outside the norm. IMO, the low end should be there before the crispy highs. If ya have to choose one or the other, go low, that is what the bass is about, that subsonic, sternum-rattling feel.
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Get yourself some kind of recording device and record yourself while working with the following:

Bass electronics set to neutral if you have an active passive switch, put the bass in passive mode. Set the amp controls neutral, including the aural enhancer. This should give you the sound of your bass i.e. it's natural sound. I would first work with the Sansamp, which has a tendency to make all kinds of rigs sound good, start experimenting with that a find a setting that you like and when you found that setting, write it down and then find others that you like as well and write them down. Now you have a basis to work with of course this is all going to change from venue to venue but at least you will know that you can get a particular tone and just try to get as close to that as you can.
  5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
  6. forget the popular "smiley face" eq.

leave everything flat.
    boost a bit at 250 Hz.

cut everything above 5k.