How to get into electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mike Brown, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Guest

Sep 1, 2014
    So I have virtually no electronics experience, but I'd like to know more about how they work, and be able to make modifications myself. What is the best place to start? Should I watch craigslist for a cheap bass, and pick that up and work on it? Is there somewhere even more basic to start? I may not have experience doing electronics, but I do have common sense. That's something right?

2. The first thing I'd recommend do is a search. This is a topic that's pretty common. Personally I've written some pretty wordy responses to this topic in the past.

But yeah, get a cheap or free bass, learn to solder, and buy a book or two. The one that was around in the 80's when I was your age was called "Customising your Electric Guitar" by Adrian Legg. I have no idea if it is still in print but I'm sure there's plenty more books just like these days. It really helped me to get started with mods, but I could already wind pickups and solder confidently by then as I started very young.

Best of luck!

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Guest

Sep 1, 2014
    Awesome thanks! I found a couple other threads too :p oops

I think we may have a soldering iron somewhere. I'll have to start practicing

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Instrument electronics are a good place to start. They're pretty simple and give you a chance to understand the role of each component.

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If you want to know more than how to solder you could look for a continuing education class in basic electronics at local high schools, junior colleges, etc.