How to get justin from tool sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amen-Us, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Amen-Us

Jul 29, 2001
    How do you EQ your amp to get justins sound??
  2. It's a little bit more complex then that. The guy uses Wal Basses! They have great tone when EQ'ed to a flat setting. I've gotten damn close with a Musicman Stingray that had mirange control as well. My guess would be to boost bass and midrange and leave the treble flat.
  3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    You need a Wal bass, a demeter preamp, a Mesa M-2000 head through the big Mesa Powerhouse cab. And a pick. And a few effects. :D
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    this should be in amps since your asking how to eq yours to get his sound, its not about justin himself.

thread moved. and if you do a search youll find it, ive seen this question posted at least 4 times
  5. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    he also used a wah wah pedal afaik
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Emulating a Wal played with a pick isn't too hard. Emulating a Wal played fingerstyle is damn near impossible without actually having a Wal.
  7. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    whats the deal with wals? are they really that great?
  8. Yes! Here's my Mach III 5 string. If you can get a copy of the issue of Bass Player with Justin on the cover they go over his signal chain in detail but they don't get into how he EQ's his amp.
  9. A bunch of bassists got together over the weekend, and we had more variation of basses than the best boutique could ever offer. I got to play several Wals, a Zon, several Alembics, a Precision A/E, Taylor acoustic bass, two Ricks, and an assortment of Jazz, Mike Dolans, 1970s P, etc and compare them against my Roscoe Beck V. All were played through a Korg headphone/drumkit gizmo a bit larger than a pack of smokes. Truly amazing little device. Sony headphones and ultra clear reproduction let me hear ALL the differences in tone between the various basses.

The Wal 5 Mach II (?) is nothing short of incredible. Truly an in-your-face sound with pure, brazen rudeness. Snarling is one of the words that comes to mind.

I liked the Rickenbacher Tuxedo damn near as much as the Wal. My RB5 sounded like, well a MIA jazz by comparison. However, I still prefer my RB5 for playability and feel... but then again mine is paid for, and only 1/6th the price of a new Wal.
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice Wal Zoom! You should post some pics in the show us your basses thread, you have a killer arsenal going on!
  11. I plan to but I need to buy a digital camera first! I've been too busy buying gear lately. I'll bring her by your place sometime soon I promise.
  12. lots of Highmids and Bass, a cut around 440-560Hz... Setting your Cab's horns level up high will help you too.