Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get lessons for lead/solo bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Feb 2, 2006.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I'm interested in eventually getting bass lessons, but I don't want the teachers drilling 'MY lead style' OUT of my head. I know how to sit back and support as well but would like more guidance on soloing and melody rather than rythm and "holding it down". Anyone got any ideas?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you already have a style in your head, why don't you play that?

Otherwise, go get as many recordings as you can and transcribe (learn note for note) as many solos as you can.

3. get a jazz teacher, then start playing rock n funk...you'll learn to keep it down n hold it, but you'll also learn how to improvise and IMO improvising is the only way to solo....i learnt a harder way, i was in a covers band, the guitarist was a pro, he played with sting, was a big jazz man, he asked me one day if i wanted to do a jazz gig with him, i said ok, then he said pack my gear we're on in 2 hours...so i did and well, the first set sucked but we played chameleon (only sorta planned song) that helped me get into it, a few more gigs and its helped me alot

learning one style is a dead end, learn as much as you can from wherever you can and forge your own style, thats the best advice i can give, you'll never grow as a musician let alone a bass player unless you diverse your tastes