1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get marker off of a body???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gaetano Paul, May 4, 2010.

1. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    I am thinking of purchasing a bass, it is really nice for a good price. It seems to have a small, unreadable, faded signature on it. How would you go about removing this?

If I was just a few years younger I would slap a Punk sticker over it, but I grew out of that! LOL:spit:

2. goo gone, orange away, rubbing alcohol, etc...

3. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Will it hurt the finish?

4. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Do you know who's signature it is?

5. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    No, it is unreadable, as most are. Will this ruin the finish? It is that nice natural finish with a nice gloss over.

6. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    This sounds crazy, but try mr clean magic eraser. Should work as long as the signature isn't under the finish.

I have 2 kids, and when they draw on the walls with their crayons, pens, pencils etc, it works like a charm. Never tried it with marker...

Good Luck.

7. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Would this be a deal breaker, walk away from the situation atomatically for you guys? Price is right, quality of bass everything is good, probably not good enough to do a complete refinishing, but possibly.

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    The only answer in the above list that is acceptable is rubbing alcohol.

Methanol is the solvent to Sharpie and other "permanent" markers. If you do not have methanol then ethanol will work. If you do not have a strong vodka in the house then rubbing alcohol is the third best alternative.

Any other solvents will cloud the finish. Any abrasives will scratch the finish.

9. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Dealbreaker?

10. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I don't know...is it? ;)

FWIW, I've tried using 70% rubbing alcohol to remove sharpie from a gloss finish before and it didn't work very well. I may try 90% to see if that makes a difference. I would try vodka, but I'm more of a whiskey man (Irish or Scotch, please). ;)

11. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    If one minute of work and ~$1 of materials scares you off from buying an instrument that you like then you may want to consider knitting.

If you have a small glycol and methanol available to you, you will be able to remove any color of Sharpie from any flat surface any time you desire.

12. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey thanks Mikeywood, Where would I get "glycol and methanol" is it sold under a different name (product name)?
    Thanks for the input guys.

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Ethylene glycol is the antifreeze for cars. Methanol is wood-grain alcohol, or racing alcohol. Ethanol is drinking alcohol, or denatured alcohol. The hardware store should carry all of them. Most garages will have these solvents laying around.

14. Hairspray, spray a little on, give a little rub, should come off no problem. And should not damage the finish. Just don't let it sit there. then clean again as you normally would.

15. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    You are suggesting using an adhesive as a solvent?

16. Rhomco

Rhomco Commercial User

Sep 14, 2005
    DFW, Texas
    Owner Operator: Rhomco Guitars
    It works my friend. Try it on a piece of scrap with your own magic marker if you want.
    Reals,
    Rob

17. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    serious, any specific kind, "Auqua net" I am not too 80's so I will have to purchase some...................... LOL

18. Just use some methylated spirits.

19. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    +1 - my wife's white truck got tagged with a sharpie - the hairspray took it right off... I've used dry-erase pens on my whiteboards when I've accidentally written with permanent markers - just wrote over the permanent and wiped it away.

20. Denatured Alcohol. Evaporates fairly fast(won't sit and eat away finish), cheap, and removes sharpie easily.