How to get more punch?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rumzini, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ok...I finally had 5 hours to myelf in our sound drummer making noise...and I was able to dial in all my effects and most of the eq on my BMAX.

I also was able to get my string at the height I want. If I raise or lower my PUPs will I get less or more punchiness out of them.
  2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Setting the pickups closer to the strings should make for a punchier sound, but it is never as simple as that. Make sure your strings are somewhat fresh. I have "acid hands" and must boil my stings to keep a punchy sound. So that's what does it for me. Someone more knowledgeable will be here later.

Edit: Are all of your effect true-bypass? Too many pedals can kill your sound, but maybe I say that because I'm not into effects very much. There's no place cool to try them out aroud these parts.
  3. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ya know? I really don't know...hopefully someone can chime in on that as well. I do know that I'm able to boost the signal on the Phat head and chorus to help compinsate.
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I know that the BOSS pedals are are NOT true bypass. I would assume the Digitech and Ibanez pedals are also not true bypass.
  5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    About the setting of your pups again.

The guy who built my bass told me that if you lower the distance between the string and the pickup,
    a- you'll get more highs in your sound,
    b- less 'change of character' because you can't really dig in hard (soft playing style gives a bit dry effect, harder style gives a little more 'wet' character)

It's about this thing, the harder your touch on the strings, the more distance you need. In the end it gives you a fat punchy sound, you use the dynamics more of the string (greater amplitude, thus more power) and thus one must change the pup's setup. We're talking about an equilibrium.

Soft - pickup high, more highs, less punch
    Hard - pickup low, less highs, more punch

Hope this helps.