Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get more responses to your threads

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaftCat, May 23, 2005.

1. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hi,

First off, I still am a bass newb but I don't consider myself a newb to forum efficiency and etiquette. This post is NOT meant to offend any TB folks. This thread was written to assist fellow TBers on how to write a better thread. We are all here for the same reasons....... I think.. :eyebrow:

In my time being here I have noticed the thread compositions are no different than any other forums on the net. Some posters are considerate as to HOW to lay out what their thread contains as well as how they want the readers to absorb it. Other posters will post the dreaded BRICK thread.

Tell yourself... Do you prefer reading a thread that is easy to read and digest or the thread where the original poster types out their thread in one big paragraph? Posting thread URLs as examples would be bad taste so I won't go there.

I won't ramble about the cons. The cons speak for themself. I am 99 & 44/100% certain I am not the only TBer here who just skips right over a thread that is difficult to read. If a composer doesn't have the time and/or effort to write it, I don't have the patience to read it.

The "Preview Post" button is there to see how your thread will appear to others.

Thank you all for reading this rant. Again, don't take it as offensive. If you joined TB to better your playing then also consider the benefits the sharing of ideas in a better written mannerism. :)

DaftCat

:bag:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Either that, or post as Nickthebassist.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

TB = Brick House.
    ---------

Too bad you didn't include a manual on the basics of minor
    things like speling or punctuation

or capitalization. Or amking no cents...

:ninja:

-------
    Edit:

I missed this:

Errr, that's a stretch! :eek: :help:

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    [​IMG]

look at ThiS gUy! ^^

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Sorry I offended you, Thor.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I find a good way to get more responses to your threads is to start an argument with Brad Johnson or Bruce Lindfield. But that's just me....

:D

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    In most cases they won't respond, but they will grade your grammer and critique your spelling. So if you want to improve your compositional skills, by all means disagree with Brad Johnson of Bruce Lindfield.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I offer people candy and free van rides if they reply to my posts.

... :ninja:

10. DaftCat:

With all due respect, it may well be to your benefit to go back and re-read your initial post. :confused: :confused:

Would I be correct in assuming that your "Preview" button was malfunctioning on this occasion? :meh: :meh:

IMHO, your post was ill conceived and badly executed. Nevertheless, I still take no offence. ;) ;)

11. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Really?

I'm waiting, hand it over... :D

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Don't get in the VAN!!!!

I'm still in therapy.....

;)

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    How so? His post was clearly written out, followed a line of reasoning to the end, and was concise and to the point.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

15. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    I take it there was .......unpleasantness? :D

Actually, I was always told not to get into vans driven by men offering sweets....... :meh:

16. That is pretty funny! We should get the mods to sticky that for all of the noobs!

Damn! I just realized that I posted in this thread... and I was trying sooo hard not to. :scowl:

:bag: :D

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You did not offend me at all! :cool:

That is my sarcastic way :D of agreeing with you. I hate
    run on paragraphs!

And I hate poor grammar and bad spelling, stupid misconceived ideas, run-on posts, and irrelevant rants.
    ( I never do that!!! :ninja: )

Thanks for giving me the chance to weigh in on it.
    Everyone else just wanted a free post. :spit:

18. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Thor: Oh.... HAHA! :cool:

silent method: Thanks! I loved it. If I were a principal of a school board...... That is a prerequisite for all students. :)