1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to "get" more volume? New amp or second cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taylor16, Oct 8, 2013.

1. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Recently started playing with a new band. Very loud drummer and two heavy guitarists playing tool, rage, pantera-type covers. Have been happy with my Tone Hammer 350 and DB 115 until recently. I'm nearly maxing out my master volume on the TH350 with the clip light on permanently and the cab has suddenly developed an unfortunate case of indigestion - crisp punchy tone has turned into lack of a better term, farts.

In the interest of $, am I better to add a second cab (I've had my eye on a DB210) or upgrade the Tone Hammer to a 500? Or I could do both, I guess. Just want to see what you all thought. I really like the Aguilar tone and would like to stick with it.

Thanks in advance!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You need another DB 115, that'll fix it.

The amp is already farting out the speaker, more power will just fart it more or blow it.

3. Your amp puts out max of 175 watts into that 8 ohm 1X15 cab. Even though the cab is rated 400 watts, it farts at 175. So, just a guess... the cab will max out, safely, at say 160 watts. Less than half of the rating of the manufacturer. You're thinking about the 2X10 rated at 350 watts. It, too, will probably start to fart at roughly half the rater power. No good reason to believe it will go much higher. But, lets say that that cab will also handle 160 watts. So, together, the 2 cabs will be 320 watts, at 4 ohms. And, the amp is rated at 350 watts at 4 ohms. IMHO, you will get a small increase in volume, because you have more speakers. But, I don't think the volume increase will be large.

4. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    So it seems as though upgrading to the TH500 and adding a second cab is the answer. I need quite a bit of added volume to keep up. Not just volume but I want to make sure my tone is clean.

5. If you need clean and volume then small cabs should be forgotten. Start looking at 2 212's, 410's, 215's, 610 or 810's.

6. The rated amp power is what it should do totally clean into 4ohm. It is still trying to output the best part of the 350w into that suffering 115.

You should get the 2nd cab to make by far the best increase in headroom. Going to 500w won't make a whole lot more volume after that.

Fearful stack, big power amp with the TH preamp ftw. You better be handing out earplugs at your shows.

7. tfernandez

tfernandez Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Get a second db 15. That will maximize the output of your head to the full 350 watts at 4 ohms. Plus, you have double the air being pushed. Also, stacking one 15 on top of the other will raise the speaker closer to ear level. You might consider a 215 instead, but I think the double 115 set up is easier to move.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would add another matching 115. You will be amazed how much louder more speaker area will give you. You would have to have 10 times the watts to double the volume.