Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get most mwah out of fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Jul 22, 2005.

1. SInce today i got a fretless six string. Now i have a couple of question. Im a very beginner on fretless. Do you have some advice how i can get the most mwah out of my bass? Like strings etc..

Thanks in advance :)

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I'm using DR Sunbeams, but I could use some more Mwah myself. This is easily the most common question about fretless basses.

3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Round wounds, low action, favor the bridge PU, finger the strings near the bottom of the neck to induce the largest vibration.
    Randy

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    +1. And practise :) Especially left hand technique (if you're right-handed).

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    what type of bass you have,not all fretless have good mwah or crying wood as i call this sound....lol :D

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly!

7. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    +1 :)

8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have played alot of different fretless basses and my experience is that you will get that tone (mwah) straightaway or it is'nt in there. Not every fretless will sound this way. I have owned basses that had all the right parts; excellent pickups, a great neck and good strings and that were set up as good as they could be and they did not have the singing tone I was looking for. I say give it a try for a while with your technique but don't dump alot of bread into this bass thinking it is going to give you want you want.

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Play as close to the neck as you can that helps a lot, a lot of it is more technique than anything you can really do.