1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to get new MEC pickups?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Zarathustra3, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    I've got a 2011 Vampyre NT and it's got the stock MEC active jazz/twin jazz pickups. I'd like to get them replaced with the MEC passive open pole versions of the same pickups. I don't think their site ships to the States. Does anyone know if they can be ordered through the NY custom shop and what their number might be?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

You can order the MEC parts from the NYC store but I’m 99% there is no direct replacement for the twin jazz in open pole and I am fairly certain the sing open pole J is longer than the closed active stock J. I would definitely check with those guys but the other direction for amazing direct replacement pickups that are passive would be Delano and I am 100% you can find what you need from BestBassGear if you decide to go that route.

Switching from active to passive pickups will require different value volume potentiometers as well.

http://www.mec-pickups.de/modules/products/product.php?katID=15039&cl=EN

3. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm very ignorant when it comes to how electronics work. Would changing the potentiometers require a whole new EQ system or is it a matter of adjusting what's already there?

4. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    I guess the better question here would be, is your average guitar center guitar tech going to be able to make the MEC open pole J and MM style pickups fit?

5. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Well most active pickups require a 25K volume pot rather than a 250K that work for most passive set ups. I am not familiar with the Vampire knob layout but it can be done sure and yes you can use the same preamp but you might need to change some of the arrangements of the pots as far what’s stacked and what’s not. It’s as simple as changing the pots to the right values and using what’s available. MEC is one of the only manufacturers I know of that makes a stacked balance volume pot that is also push pull for active passive. There is ways around that and MEC does have one for active pickups and passive but they are a fortune. What is the exact layout and maybe I can help you.

I wouldn’t trust anyone at Guitar Center to pop microwave popcorn for me let alone fondle one of my babies.

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Zarathustra3,

Please call the Warwick/Framus NY Custom Shop at (212) 777 6990 - One of our techs will be happy to consult with you about pick-ups and ordering parts from MEC. Thanks for your question!

Best,
    WarwickOfficial

7. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    The layout is stacked push/pull volume/deactivate preamp, treble boost/cut, mid boost/cut, and stacked low boost/cut. Pulling up on the low end knob splits the bridge humbucker into a single coil.