Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get noticed as a bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cabooke, May 23, 2002.

1. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    How's everybody doing tonight. Great. Here is my question. I have been playing pro for several years now, but I'm not getting very many gigs. I don't play with any steady groups. Mostly I do jazz type gigs, musical orchestras, almost a studio type of playing. My reading chops are pretty good, and I'm fluent in many styles. My big problem is that nobody knows me to call me for these gigs. How should I go about getting on other bassists or contractors list of players? Any advice would be great. Thanks much.

Chris.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You could tell us where you're located;)

Then, if someone here is in your area they may be able to give more specific info.

3. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Duh.....sorry about that. I'm in Orange County, California.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There are a few here from Orange County (fred?), they can probably give you some localized help.

One place to network is at music stores. You have the LA Bass Exchange and Bass Alone in reasonable proximity.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Best way is to post in the wrong forum. Anyway, they call it networking in business.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You get gigs by networking, word of mouth. You do a gig and hopefully one or more of the other players will like what you're doing and get your number. The secret is getting into some gigs where the "right" players will notice you. It also helps to hang out where the other players hang, especially places where they jam.

Sorry if this seems silly but if you've been playing pro for some years and don't have this stuff down, I can't imagine how you are paying the rent :rolleyes:

I only play part time but I get all my work through networking like that. I'm agressive, I always keep business cards on me and hand them out to everybody I run into.

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm pretty lucky in that I get sub calls all the time...lots more than I have time for. I think I get these calls because I've made it a point to:

1. Be proficient in many styles and do a passable job in unfamiliar situations.
    2. Be ultra-dependable. Treat it as a business and business will be good.
    3. Be easy to get along with.
    4. Be a team player...work to make the band sound good, not just to display your chops.

In short, your good rep will get you hired way before blazing chops will. You do have to network, too. The best way I've found to do this is support other players. Go to their gigs, get to know them, really show some interest. They'll remember you.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Go to some jam nights at local clubs! Get up there and jam with other guys! Because i will garuntee that most of them are in the same boat as you!

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    In my case, be the bass playing brother of an accomplished music arranger/composer/keyboardist, or go to a church that needs to start a contemporary service.

11. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    You see, I haven't been playing around at a bunch of different gigs. I have had a steady 4 nights a week gig for over two years now, and it is starting to get old. I haven't ever had to find a new gig every night of the week, but I need to move on.

12. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Sorry

13. This is a common problem for guys with resident gigs. i'm in a latin band playing 2-3 gigs a week, and since I joined that band, my jazz and sub calls have diminished to nearly nil. If the band split tomorrow, it would take a bit of effort to recoup my previous status. As said previously, networking is the answer.

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You could always go put a few bombs in some peoples mail boxes to get noticed! Hehehehe

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    wrong forum.

moved.

16. Get to know other bass players. At first it might seem contraindicated -- you're competing with these guys, right?

Well, sort of. But often you'll find guys who have to turn down gigs for whatever reason, or need someone to sub for him/her. Sometimes they want to lead their own band and play another instrument ;)