1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get over job interview nervousness?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Waspinators, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Well I've looked everywhere for my first job and no luck, so I decided to swallow my pride and apply to McDonald's. The hiring manager told me to see her today at 3pm, and I went, and was greeted with a clueless employee who thought I wanted to talk to the store manager (who said "SCREW OFF I AIN'T TALKIN' TO NO ONE ON MY BREAK!") until some guy who looks like the dude from Minor Threat comes out and tells me the hiring manager isn't here, and to come back Monday.

Now throughout that whole episode, I felt nervous as hell, thinking "How am I gonna get this job?" and "If I do get this job, how am I gonna fit in?". I can't even imagine how nervous I'm gonna be during the actual interview. Anyone got any tips (besides green/booze) to overcome nerves in this situation?

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Relax man. You obviously seem like a clever lad through the way you wrote your original post so you already have an advantage on many of the workers that are probably there.

3. just do this before the interview

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Why are you nervous? Its McDonalds. You don't even have to speak English to get hired there as a drive-thru worker. Seriously, if you show up half-ass sober, not covered in lesions and don't lick the manager's hand when he/she offers to shake yours I don't see how you couldn't get hired.

5. Show up drunk.

6. And/or naked.

7. Nice touch. :p

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah. for a mcdonald's job interview, i wouldn't exactly lose any sleep. ...or really bother preparing. :meh:

just try and be polite and not make it too apparent that they were your last choice for employment. :p

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You sure you want to work there?

10. Craigslist is a wonderful place to search for employment. I see plenty of ads for cooks in your area.

11. Bringing a sixpack to an interview is a friendly gesture that that breaks the ice and puts everyone at ease.

12. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Well, to be honest I don't know. But I figure I might as well give it a shot. Maybe I'll learn to be a less shy person, and I'll have an income. But yeah, the vibe I picked up from the place was that I'll have a hard time fitting in if I do get hired, but I guess I'll just hope for the best.

13. Look for a local restaurant looking to hire, like a mom and pop.

Much more rewarding experience in the long run.

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Just act like you own the place. Sit down, put your feet up on the interviewers desk, kick the chair back onto 2 legs and put your hands behind your head. Even if you're nervous as hell this sort of body language completely masks it.

15. After every question the interviewer asks follow it up with "With free food right?"

16. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Bottom line: don't be nervous about an interview at McDonald's - it couldn't consist of anything but asking whether or not you're a US citizen. ;)

17. Fix'd it for you.

18. I got over mine going in prepared. Realistically, you can't go in knowing the in and outs of Big Mac assembly, but you should know the qualities any customer service oriented job are and be ready to show how you have them in spades.

Many times an interviewer will have a battery of set questions. Anyone who has applied for a job or two has heard them.

Why should we give you this job? What would your last manager say about you? what is your worst flaw? Describe how you would handle an irate customer. Describe the last time you resolved a conflict with a coworker. Give an example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer, and so on.

Having prepared answers for these kinds of questions will go a long way for your confidence and your nervousness. People who are comfortable show it, especially when someone is looking for it. Just be confident in your ability. As you saw, anyone can work at McDonald's. Very few are good at it. Know you can do the job, respond with solid answers to the questions and let them make a decision.

I've been turned down for more jobs than I can count. I messed up some of those, the prospective employer messed up the others. Don't let rejection get you down. Good luck.

19. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    Why are you afraid of not fitting in?
    Because you don't "look like the guy from Minor Threat"?

20. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Atta boy!!!!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021