Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to get punchy tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by razorbakc, May 14, 2002.

1. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    How do you get that punchy tone out of a bass, I just cant seem to get it to sound very good. By the way, I have a USA Fender P-bass and a crate amp.

2. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Take your bass, turn the volume and tone up all the way, go to the amp, turn the "mid" knob up allllll the way, turn the bass to about 6, and adjust the highs to your liking, that should get you a nice sound.

3. hey guess what! off to Misc!

:D:D

Merls

And to the mods in Misc, sorry if you have to shift it.

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Downstairs...if it were only that easy! Try a 1x15 + 4x10 cabinet, about 350 watts power, nice pre-amp, light to moderate compression, BBE sonic maximizer, e.q., and a well-set up bass w/good pickups...that should do it! In other words, keep the P-bass and light the crate on fire.

5. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I took my little combo amp, its a GK guitar amp and i did that, got a nice tone, did that with my head&cabinet cranked the mid and highs, nice punchy tone :confused: . Ah! must be the music man pickup in my copy bass!.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sometimes the answer isn't to throw money at more gear;)

While you can certainly go buy a 410 and 115*, people have been getting punch for years with far less, heck, you can get punch with no speakers when recording.

Here's what I'd do: max the controls on the P-Bass. The best tone is when the volume is wide open. If it's too bright with the amp tips that follow, roll back the tone to suit your taste.

I don't know what Crate you have (and for anyone who assumes all Crates are bad... so are all Aguilars:rolleyes: ;)) so let's go with basic tone controls. Set them flat. If you don't have some thump right of the bat, trial to dial it in with the low or bass tone control. Do not cut the mids. Add just enough highs to get some clarity.

One of the most common problems I've seen with people trying to dial in sounds is that they start off with a treble boost which immediately limits how far you can turn up before it gets annoying. Get your lows happening first and you'll end up with a sound that "pushes" more. Then dial in clarity. Then again, if you like tinkly slap tone this is poor advice;)

This is just general amp advice. The most important thing is you and your technique.

*you couldn't pay me to carry that stuff around

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Carting with a hand truck is a trade-off I'll take any day when it comes to punchy tone...plus the girls will love your new muscles!

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need more money for more gear. Plain and simple.

9. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hey, Jamerson used a battered P bass with monstrously high action direct into the desk and for the occasional live gig used an Amped B15...and I dont think we could accuse him of not having enough punch;)

Seriously though why in the name of God would someone want to lug around ferociously huge amp rigs when if the venue your playing is that big your gonna be di'd anyway is beyond me.

10. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    You have to have an inspiring tone that YOU can hear first, then you can have it destroyed by the soundman...you'll be playing in a sort of "aural oblivion". (Even though your D.I. is being run over by the kick...what you have on stage is nothing but tight, sweet thunder). And by the way, a B-15 is no cream puff to lift.

11. if you play fingerstyle, try using a pick and see how you like that sound.

12. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I use both finger and pick.
    A good reference for the sound I'm looking for (while not trying to duplicate it, this is just for example) is the NOFX pop-up screen on www.punkhardcore.com

13. maybe just increase the low mids and cut highs a bit. It works for me, and if it doesnt work for you, you only wasted 3 seconds eq'ing :D

or get a 60x10 and 50000 watts, that should do it

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

15. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Couldnt have said it better myself:D

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I could have, but I won't.:p

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Razorbakc,

If you want more dynamics, I suggest that you get a SansAmp Bass Driver D.I. Insert it between your bass and your amp input. This will somewhat act as if your P-Bass was "active".

If you're still not satisfied, try to consider swapping your Crate with any Ampeg. BA-115 and B-100R models are cheap but sound really fine and punchy.

The alternative solution I'm thinking of is... very expensive, and will make you carry very heavy loads. Unless you have $ 3,000 of available cash, forget it...

Hope this helps,

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    This is pretty deep. What Crate amp does razorbakc have? As far as I can tell we don't know yet some are suggesting an amp change. Why?

Just for grins, ask yourself... did punch exist before mega-amps, active electronics and stompboxes?

Now go get a big amp... that'll fix everything;)

19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you allow me to, I'll reply with another question : why do most professional bass players use non-Crate amps ?

Unfortunately, many bass players have neither a Neve console nor Ted Templeman at home... Maybe a petition could fix that problem.

What I suggested to Razorbakc was a low-cost solution, assuming his P-Bass is (normally) a good bass. Sorry, I really can't tell the same about any Crate amp I heard... None of them were "responsive".

All the best,

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md