Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get Ric o sound from 4003?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Goatslayer, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Will someone please tell me specifically how to get Ric o sound (Y cables/AB box/magic)? I've had a 4003 for 1 week and can't figure it out. There was no manual and I didn't find any useful info on the Rickenbacker site. Thanks!

2. "Rick-O-Sound" is just a stereo jack, with the output from each pickup going to a different channel on the jack. Rickenbacker sells a "Rick-O-Sound" kit that's simply a stereo cable and splitter box which separates each channel into a separate mono output cable. You could probably wire one up yourself with parts from Radio Shack or something.

Mike

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  4. I searched for ric o sound and rick o sound before posting my question and all I saw were questions like: what type of bass is the best? and other such totally unrelated topics. Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked. Thanks to mikezimmerman for helping me out. P.S. My band, The Gates Of Slumber, is on MP3.com but I haven't gotten it linked to this site yet.

5. P.S. to pilotjones: my previous reply sounded snotty and I didn't mean it to. I appreciate the link to Rickenbacker's site describing Rick o sound. I was all over their site earlier today and never found any info like this. Thanks!

6. Yeah, I haven't tried that phrase, but I know that some kinds of things are difficult to pick up in the search engine. (Just try doing a search to find info in "F-bass"!)

Mike

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    goatslayer: No problem. To find that stuff, start on the main www.rickenbacker.com page, then click the "Service" button at the top to get to the Service page. There's some other useful stuff there, too.

I guess it is a hard thing to search for. But somewhere in there, someone asked and got an answer. Anyway, all you need to do is make a y-cable that goes from one stereo plug to two mono (standard) plugs or jacks. The tip and sleeve from the stereo go to the tip and sleeve of one mono; the ring and sleeve from the stereo go to the tip and sleeve of the other mono. This could also be done with a box, as Rick does.