1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to get Ric o sound from 4003?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Goatslayer, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Will someone please tell me specifically how to get Ric o sound (Y cables/AB box/magic)? I've had a 4003 for 1 week and can't figure it out. There was no manual and I didn't find any useful info on the Rickenbacker site. Thanks!

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    "Rick-O-Sound" is just a stereo jack, with the output from each pickup going to a different channel on the jack. Rickenbacker sells a "Rick-O-Sound" kit that's simply a stereo cable and splitter box which separates each channel into a separate mono output cable. You could probably wire one up yourself with parts from Radio Shack or something.

Mike

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  4. I searched for ric o sound and rick o sound before posting my question and all I saw were questions like: what type of bass is the best? and other such totally unrelated topics. Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked. Thanks to mikezimmerman for helping me out. P.S. My band, The Gates Of Slumber, is on MP3.com but I haven't gotten it linked to this site yet.

5. P.S. to pilotjones: my previous reply sounded snotty and I didn't mean it to. I appreciate the link to Rickenbacker's site describing Rick o sound. I was all over their site earlier today and never found any info like this. Thanks!

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yeah, I haven't tried that phrase, but I know that some kinds of things are difficult to pick up in the search engine. (Just try doing a search to find info in "F-bass"!)

Mike

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    goatslayer: No problem. To find that stuff, start on the main www.rickenbacker.com page, then click the "Service" button at the top to get to the Service page. There's some other useful stuff there, too.

I guess it is a hard thing to search for. But somewhere in there, someone asked and got an answer. Anyway, all you need to do is make a y-cable that goes from one stereo plug to two mono (standard) plugs or jacks. The tip and sleeve from the stereo go to the tip and sleeve of one mono; the ring and sleeve from the stereo go to the tip and sleeve of the other mono. This could also be done with a box, as Rick does.