Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get rid of a belly.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    My exercise is paying of in all areas but my stomach and obliques, where there reamains an extra tyre. I was wondering, how should I get rid of this? Is it running, sit ups, dieting, or what? Any help would be great!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    The Southbeach diet claims to make all the belly fat go first... I bought the book, but won't start it until March... Interesting stuff....

3. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    What does it consist of? I hope it isn't a silly diet like the Atkins one.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Millions and millions of sit-ups. Leg lifts work wonders as well. Remove beer, junk food, and high fat foods from your diet.

-Mike

5. don't eat.

Seriously, though, building muscle in the areas that you want to lose the fat is the way to go I think. Therefore, work on your abs. Here are some of the things I do:

Lower abs - lay down and put your hands under your butt. move your legs side to side in opposite directions, and then up and down in opposing directions. This will also work your quadriceps.

Upper abs - lay down and put your legs up, your femurs just about parallel to the ground, or maybe angled slightly away from you. Then angle your shins, calves parrallel to the ground. Now do crunches like this.

Obliques - Get in the same position as the previous exercise. When you do a crunch, crunch to the left and bring back your left leg toward your head, pushing your right leg away from you. Then do the reverse.

Overall - "Iron Man". Get into a pushup postition, but instead of being held up by your hands, lay your forearms on the groundflat, keeping your body straight, like a good pushup. Hold this as long as you can. This will also work your deltoids and triceps.

Don't forget to use these with diet and aerobic exercise.

Hope this helps!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You can build all the muscle you want under the fat but if you don't change either the calorie intake, the amount of calories you burn or both then the fat will stay. So, I'd say eat healthier and do more cardio.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No diet can change the way that your body loses fat as far as the order of what fat comes off first.

brad cook

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Only the Qintar would make such claims...

9. :rolleyes:

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yorkie, why don't you just use a vacuum cleaner to suck off all the fat?

:D

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What brad said. Exercise, eat healthier, and hope for the best.

Then there's liposuction surgery, but I don't recommend it... there's all kinds of negatives that go along with that temporary shortcut.

12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    My wife and I did southbeach last year an I lost about 30# in 4 months when combined with a brisk 4 mile walk 3 times a week. However, I could not continue to eat the southbeach lifestyle and 20 of the pounds eventually went back on as the activity also decreased. We found the diet expensive and tough to stick with.

What is working much better this year is a modified southbeach. In other words, watching and eating less carbs in general, not so regimented. Southbeach is close to atkins in that there are several "phases", the first of which is very strict, but not as tough as the "no-carb" atkins approach. I'm also not too hot on eating all that protein (meat) all the time. (I'm no vegetarian, though).

The weight is not coming off as fast as southbeach, nor as dramatic as some of my friends who did atkins. However, this last month, I dropped 7-8# by consciously trying to keep my carb intake to about 60 carbs/day. Once you educate yourself on approximate carbs in various foods, it becomes easy. Sure, you eat more salads and less breads, pasta and rice, but not that it's forbotten. Oh, and we've been doing other sensible things such as eliminating evening snacking, trying to limit ourselves to one portion at mealtimes, and adding more walking than normal, although that doesn't always work as planned with us both working and 3 kids who need to be driven and picked up to work, basketball and everywhere else.

It's not easy to do or stick with, but I've found this present diet easier than most, even though the payoff is slower to come. In the long run, I think it'll be easier to stick to and keep the weight off.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Another important weight loss myth busted. You cannot "spot train" an area on your body for fat loss. Just ain't gonna happen.

14. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    DigMe's right... you can't 'spot reduce' fat or prioritise fat loss from certain areas

unless you're prepared to do a lot of running/cycling regularly... e.g. at least an hour a day, cardio is not especially an effective way to lose fat... running for 1 hour will burn about 700 calories in the average man... not a lot really, and I bet most people who throw themselves into a health regime won't sustain an hour's cardio every day... 700 calories is the equivalent of what, a bag of potato chips and a chocolate bar? eating sensibly and moderate cardio is better and more sustainable than going killing yourself on the treadmill

your best bet is to build muscle all over (increasing muscle increases your RMR - resting metabolic rate... basically muscle tissue burns more calories,, so even as you sit there you're burning calories)... so get yourself a bench and some weights and get to it... an hour 3 times a week is all you need if you plan it properly

and most people could do with looking at their diet... reduce your carb intake, increase your protein (you'll need it to help build those new muscles) and drink lots of water

don't bother doing excessive stomach crunches to the exclusion of everything else... stomach crunches alone won't help you lose fat from your stomach any better than an all-over workout program... and until you lose some fat from your stomach, the effects of all those crunches will be totally invisible anyway... think about it: you don't see otherwise obese men with Brad Pitt style abs

15. South Beach works for a number of reasons:

What you are basically doing is cutting out a lot of carbohydrates. Your body uses carbs as energy, so South Beach approach cuts out a lot of energy from your diet.

As you digest food, your body chooses how to use it. Carbs get changed into sugars which your body uses for energy. Your pancreas emits insulin, which breaks down sugars. If you have too many sugars in your bloodstream, they get stored into your fat cells, making you gain weight. This is a throwback to when we were hunter/gatherers and faced times of famine -your body stores extra energy as fat to compensate for the times when you may have to draw on those reserves.

Other posters here are correct: You can do as many sit ups as you like - it will not shift that belly.

My advice is to up your cardio work. More running, cycling, swimming, walking etc. This will cause your body to draw on those reserves of energy it has stored as fat. Slowly, you will lose weight and that belly will fade away.

Good luck.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, ain't that the truth, i'm sure if this was possible, Gard (a.k.a. draG) would of "spot trained" his huge ass a while back...

:smug: :D

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Like I have time to read YOUR posts! Bass Manoloukas maybe...Alex, no way.

brad cook

18. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Ok, I do eat pretty healthily. I mean, i eat one or two chocolates(small celebration sized things) a day maybe, but that's it. I eat cereal for breakfast, or toast with jam, or porridge with jam, and very often eat potatoes with coleslaw for lunch, and then a chicken cury or chinese(not a take away, one from a jar) with rice for tea. I do a fair amount of exercise too. Shall I just stick at it and see how it goes?

19. Cut out as much sugar from your diet as possible, and ditch anything with white flour in it. Drink tons of water and do lots of cardiovascular exercise.