1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to get rid of alcohol cravings?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KingOvHell, Apr 24, 2009.

1. I am attepmting to quit drinking again but always give in to the craving. I am 8 days sober and is starting to hit me pretty good right now. any advice?

2. Maybe you need a goal to take your mind off of it. I would try training for a sporting event, it gets you up very early to run/bike/swim whatever.

3. Yeap. If you have a sporting event, you can add the argument that alcohol is high in calories, and therefore all the time you spend training can be basicly wasted by a few drinks. No one likes wasting time, especially if its hard work.

If you find yourself wanting to drink because you have nothing else to do ie boredom, then it is definatly time to find a new hobby.

Or.... :bassist::bassist::bassist: (play lots of music)

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I had a kidney removed, that's a pretty good deterrent.

5. Every time you wanna drink, try the gallon challenge. Eventually you'll end up puking your brains out, taking away any urge to drink. :D

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Try to keep busy. You just have to make it through today.

AA meetings are a great way to curb cravings as well.

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Pee into empty beer bottle and put them back in the fridge. Everytime you crack open a beer you'll taste piss. Soon enough you wont want to drink anymore.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book suggests chocolates or some other sort of candy -that can help with the physical aspect of craving, as the body is asking for a sugar rush more than a dosage of alcohol.

The cravings will subside over time.

9. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Go with the drugs,you won't think of alcohol again.

Jokes aside,assuming you work/school in during the day and the cravings come after the evening,tire yourself with a hard workout,that can be swimming,gym,running,football,basketball etc etc, come home,get yourself a book and some soft music.

I remember,when I used to work out the cravings were much less frequent.I was always pushing my limits so I couldn't care for booze that day.

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Play more bass and drink some orange juice.

11. id say bite the bullet and try aa.....they have seen it all......some of their methods lean towards a religion which i dont particularly agree with,but there are really good people there doing really good work.......after that,be busy,even if its just walking the dog around the neighborhood,and practice as much as you can. try to get into a routine.......theres a lot to be said for having somewhere to be

12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    I feel ya buddy.

13. First, you must find WHY you need to drink and HOW this rolls out.

I used to be a classic binge drinker and my episodes were caused by me wanting to avoid dealing with certain things. I "accomplished" this by copious amounts of Jack Daniels.

14. It's SoCo for me.

Man, I gotta stop! :p

15. me too,but i was lucky enough to be able to rein it in.............with all due respect though, i would disagree.....i think aa tends to deal with the immediate problem first,and digs into the underlying issues after......

16. Thanks for all the feedback.

I wanna go it AA i just have to find a place that has them. There is no certin time i get cravings, they just come and go. I just got back from a drive and it seemed to kill it.

When i have tried quiting in the past i always let myself drink on special occasions then that day will come i will drink then i will start drinking more and more then i would try that again. I am not doing that this time. Tomorrow is gonna be a big test cause i am going to my brothers house and he drinks every day.

I didint really drink alot, usually 4-5 times a week, its why and where i drank that was the problem. I drank to feel good and always alone in my room and i'm not talking a couple of beers, i drank whiskey straight, alot of it.

I really want to succeed but i am very doubtful right now.

17. then go right now...theres gotta be a number in the phone book....that first step is the biggie

18. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    Shoot me a PM if you really need and want help...

Had your problem a while back...

19. I made myself quit too - been dry since 12/10/07. After awhile the cravings back off, but everytime I see a beer commercial or walk past them in a store - an instant thought always crosses my mind about all the good times with beer, and forgetting the bad times.

I started drinking a lot of pop, and was still smokin greenery - that helped.

I couldn't do the AA thing - those poeple made me want to drink more! ... couldn't stand them.

If you're proud you got to 8 days (you should be) - you'll get really pssd at your self if you drink now after making it that long, and making it harder next time.

My advice is do anything it takes to not drink - you may need a temporary crutch using something else.

20. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Sounds to me like you've admitted to yourself you have a problem... that's THE big first step.

Personally, I couldn't abstain via will power with/without AA... I had to go the dipstick route and hit MY bottom... which led to 45 days in an inpatient treatment program. For me those 45 days were key as it gave me some time away from booze/drugs and some tools to keep clean.

I hated AA... that was just me... others use it well and succeed.

In the end it came down to what someone has already mentioned... TIME. As I met my goals... two months, half a year, year, five years... I just lost interest and the craving. Not to minimize what it takes... it was tough for a couple years for damn sure.

I'm sending you good vibes for your success!

All that said... I hope to have the opportunity at the end of my existence to have a Guinness, a shot of Wild Turkey, a big fat doobie and a handful of peyote buttons (and enough time to enjoy) just prior to my demise! ;)

Good luck man!!