Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get rid of fret clack?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stevekim, Nov 4, 2002.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    I've got a MIJ '75 Reissue Jazz Bass. The relief is set fairly low at around .012 or so. The action is also fairly low but I really like how it plays and sounds. The problem is I keep running into fret clack, especially when doing ghost notes and muting with the left hand. Is there any way to get around this? Should I raise the relief some? Would higher guage strings help? I'm using Rotosound rounds.

Thanks,

Steve

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    Thanks John, I'll try refining my playing technique. I really do love the tone I get when I dig in hard sometimes, though. I've tried raising the action but when I get it to where the fret clack goes away it's too high for my taste past the 12th fret. Perhaps a combination of more relief and higher action is in order? I've also thought about shimming the neck and raising the action so that the strings stay more level to the fretboard but I'm hesitant to do that.

-Steve

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You might also try lowering the heigth of the pups.

Pkr2

4. Also try lowering the treble EQ on your amp and also on the bass....

:D:D

Merls

5. A) Set up the relief, string height and PU'p height.

or

b) get the frets removed!:D (just kidding)

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca

Whoops! Sorry about that Josh.

:D

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Lighten up on your touch.. I know you like to dig in, but don't do it as hard... if you really want to dig in more, why don't you raise your action a bit more..