How to get rid of gold plating on hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ForestThump, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Just bought an Epiphone Allen Woody bass which sounds great but I hate the gold hardware.
    Is there some way of sandblasting or using some kind of acid to remove the gold plating.
    Anyone have any experience with this?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you remove the gold, you'll also damage the coating underneath that protects from corrosion.
  3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sell the hardware, and get some new
  4. you can plate it in something else...

yeah, it was a chemistry lab last year
  5. ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    The problem is that the Allen Woody bass is not common enough for their to be replacement pickup covers or bridges for it.
    If I remove the gold plating perhaps a coat of matte varnish would fight corrosion.
    Any ideas?
  6. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I would just settle for the gold. Its not worth experimenting and ruining the whole thing.
  7. ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Someone out there must have experience with this! If not do you know a guitar maker that does?
  8. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Maybe you could call a local plating shop, like for cars or motorcycles or something. It would be cool if you posted what they say - it's sort of an interesting idea. I wonder if they'd strip it or just plate over it. Probably go for nickel maybe? I've watched that motorcycle show on t.v. and there's been a couple of times when the plating didn't come out right so they sent it back to get it redone. Which...would mean some sort of stripping or layering over the original.

Other than that, how's the Woody?