How to get rid of moldy smell on bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    So....just got a "new to me" bass. It was shipped in a case that smells like it was in a moldy basement for the last ten years. Heck, judging by the oxidation on some of the guitar's hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if the bass was stored there too. Either way, the case reeked of mold so bad I couldn't go within 5 feet of getting a headache. Needless to say, it's getting pitched. Noneltheless, some of that smell is leeched on the bass. How do I get rid of that smell. Any thoughts?

PS.....yes, I will be giving it a thorough cleaning.

2. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Keep it OUT of the case. Usually with strong smells, best option is air. Don't use Frebreze or any odorous substances. Use baking soda and a good uality guitar polish. I like Music Nomad's One Guitar Polish/Cleaner/Something or other :D

Helped me get a strong smell out of my new Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. The smell was stronger on the neck because that's the part that made the most contact with the smelly case. I kept it in a clean case with little cups of baking soda in it. Occasionally I took it out and let it hand on a stand. Also I sprayed some One on the neck and wiped it down every few days or so. After about a month, the smell is almost completely out of the neck.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You probably could have solved the moldy case problem by leaving it out in the sun open for a day.

for the bass, damp rag, dampened in vinegar

MrLenny1 likes this.
  4. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I don't care bout the case. I just want the smell off the guitar. The moldy hard shell case problem is solved by throwing it in the garabage!! I don't "f" with mold.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021