1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to get rid of the annoying buzzing/slap sound?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by IStoleYourCar, Jan 2, 2012.

1. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    I just have a quick question about how to clean up my bass playing.

Below I have posted a link to a cover I did of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica. Granted, it isn't the most difficult of songs (by any means) and I think I played it pretty decently. BUT, almost every time I hit a note, you can hear a slap-like or buzzing sound. I REALLY want to clean up my playing, if possible. If you have any tips on how to fix this problem, or anything else you see wrong in the video please tell me!

Thanks!:bassist:

For Whom the Bell Tolls Bass Cover - YouTube

2. What's the amp setup you are using? Might be that all you need to do is to boost the low and take out some of the highs to avoid the click sounds.

There's also the issue of controlling the right side fingers for plucking -- after a lot of hours you could control the 'click factor', add it in when you want and keep it out when you wish.

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I'd be more worried about tuning the bass. Yikes. :bag:

The clicking sound you hear is your string bouncing off the frets. Perfectly normal, and can be dialed out with either the tone knob, or the EQ. If it bugs you that much, raise your action and it will disappear all together.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Don't boost frequencies so badly. Keep a flat EQ and push gain to get grit.
    Don't attack so hard, let the amp do the job.
    On a sidenote, you bass needs a setup. Highs aren't in tune with lows.

5. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I'm agree with the previous two replies. Ease up on your attack (I'm going to guess that you are using a small practice amp). Your bass definitely needs a setup.

6. Had to take another look. Your right hand posture is cramped -- arm not relaxed downwards, if you play that way a long time you will get arm problems.

7. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl

Nov 8, 2011
    Eastern OH
  8. Might add some foam rubber under or over the strings at the bridge. Gives an upright sound which I like.

I bet you have a foam sponge in the kitchen, put it under the strings and see if that helps.

Try out some flats when you have the setup.

9. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Just a couple more follow up questions:

When you said my bass needs a tune/setup... are you saying it was just out of tune for the video? Or is it something more?

How would I go about fixing my hand/finger technique?

Thanks again!

And for those who mentioned it, this is my current amp:
    Acoustic B100 100W 1x15 Bass Combo and more Bass Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.

10. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    A setup means that the neck relief, string and pick-up heights have all been adjusted. It really goes a long way in helping you to play better. You should check your bass' tuning occasionally..temperature and humidity DO affect tuning.

In regards to your fretting and fingering technique, all I can offer is to practice practice practice.

11. As for hand positions and so forth, find one that you find is comfortable and does not put any strain on you hands, fingers or shoulders. It might be the way you play in the video is OK but I think you are keeping your upper arm in a fixed and non-relaxed position -- with a lot of playing that could cause pain.

I'm no teacher but let's say you keep a nail in place for hitting a hammer with your left hand, use that kind of natural and relaxed position.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Also, always strictly alternate your fingers. I saw you using the same finger to pluck two notes in a row many times...this will lead to problems with speed as you progress. So get used to it now and by then it will be second nature.

Another thing you have to remember is yes, Cliff played hard, but you are playing with a clean sound, while the bassists in Metallica always had a lot of distortion on their basses. Distortion makes those clicks a lot less noticeable. But I agree with the others that you should lighten up and let the amp do the work instead of trying to kill the strings. Not bad at all...keep it up!

Malcolm, the kid is playing Metallica, not Bill Haley And The Comets ;)

13. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks to everyone who replied! Now... to figure out how to setup my bass without breaking it like an idiot...

14. How to get rid of the annoying buzzing/slap sound?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Divorce her

15. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    I might be a little young for that lol

16. as for the tuning i know his intonation does seem to be out, but i seem to recall that the original song is slightly sharp as the speed was altered to fit the bell chimes at the start, if my memory serves me correctly! so that could be a contributing factor.

17. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA

Standard tuning works fine for that song. Granted, he played the wrong notes for the intro, but that's not what this thread is about.

18. i wasn't the one who first mentioned his tuning...:meh:

19. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    I did? Oh now I'm embarrassed!

20. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    I did?! Now I'm embarrassed!
    Whoops. Dual post. Sorry