How to get rid of the typical hum in a Fender Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Papersen, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´m about to record a couple of bass lines for our upcoming album. I´m gonna use my MIA Fender Jazz American Trad. (comes with MIM pickups). The bass sounds Ok, but the pickups are a bit noisy and that´s pretty obvious when I record it. I was planning to upgrade them (Fender Custom Shop 60´s) but my teacher told me that I´d still have the same problem.

So I´d really like to know how to record the bass without getting that annoying hum.

2. If you've got the skills (which are very minimal), then mosey on over to the pickups & electronics forum and check this baby out:

I was having noise problems with my jazz that is loaded up with Duncan Antiquity II's, went wild with the shielding and grounding, and now its super silent. The only noise I get now is when I solo either of the pickups, and that is very very minimal. Do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars on some shielding tape and a soldering iron; it works miracles. And your instructor is partially right: single coil pickups, when solo'd or run witghout adequate shielding, do have a bit of characteristic noise to them. The 100% way around this is to buy stacked pickups ( has a good selection of them), but by then, its not really a jazz bass anymore to a lot of people. Do a search and see what particular parts people are swapping out on the MIM's. Offhand I know the bridges are said to be sub-par, and that some new single-coil pickups wouldn't hurth them either.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've had basses in the past that only hummed if I faced the PC screen or mixing desk, but stopped humming if I turned 90 degrees in either direction. Try that.
  4. get a "ground lift" box...gets rid of all hum