Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to Get Rid of Your Gut...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Feb 2, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I didn't get a chance to post in the last mysteriously disappearing thread, but there was a lot of good tips/information in there. It caught my attention because getting rid of my oversized belly is my main fitness goal right now. So I figured I'd start another one.

I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 186 lbs. Over the past few years I’ve gained about 15-20 lbs and it's all in my belly. So my goal is to slim down in that area. Building muscle and strength in other parts of my body would be a nice bonus, but my focus is on my gut.

What I've been doing is diet and exercise. I’m not following any specific diet. I'm just eating healthy. I've been having cottage cheese and a banana for breakfast instead of an egg sandwich. For lunch it’s a salad instead of a cheeseburger. For dinner I try to add some variation either pasta, or chicken w/ veggies, or something decent instead of pizza. I'm also trying to cut calories wherever possible like cutting out soda or high sugar beverages and drinking lots of water instead. Coffee is a big problem though, cause I drink a lot of it...and I like it sweet. I tried sugar substitutes and they taste weird. Today I'm drinking my coffee w/ no sugar and trying to make myself get used to it. I'm also having a healthy snack between meals, usually a piece of fruit and some nuts. I heard this combo is good for the metabolism. Anyone have any other diet tips??

Exercise for me consists mostly of cardio at this point. I'm trying to run at least every other day. I got out of the habit for a few days but I'm trying to get back out there everyday starting this morning. I learned something huge from Peter Squire and others in the previous thread about the best time to do cardio being in the morning.:eek: This whole time I'd been running at like 9pm. Anyway, today I went at 6am...it was rough but I did it.

I'm going to start a full body workout 3 times a week too. Is it true that cardio combined with resistance training will get the best results?

Also, I've heard it is important to eat first thing in the morning. It supposedly gets your metabolism going. I've also heard to run before you eat...So, If I’m running first thing, should I eat first or after?

So if anyone else is in the same boat...Please share your tips, advice, workout routine or experience.

2. The best way to do it from a weight loss standpoint is to exercise first on an empty stomach, then sometime later to eat breakfast. You are burning more fat and fewer carbs if you exercise after fasting. Remember that first meal in the morning is "breaking the fast" of the previous night. I first saw this in a UCLA study about 35 years ago and it is still verified today. Because I have to get up at 5am for chores and cleanup and leave for the office by 6am, I can't keep that schedule. But when I used to be able to do that, it worked very well.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I subscribe to this idea. For me, it is some grapefruit. I always feel way better when I get my grapefruit in the morning.

-Mike

4. Although cardio on an empty stomach may be effective at burning fat, it's also extremely effective at burning muscles. With low glycogen levels in your body early in the morning, your body will eat away at your muscles. It's not a big deal for you, however. I'd say it's a good idea to eat many small meals to keep your metabolism going, and weight training never hurts. Make sure you consume some low GI carbs (these keep you full the longest, and include oats, whole grain, brown rice, etc). Cookies and sugar, on the other hand, will break down quickly and you will be hungry soon after. A good starting point would be to eliminate most (if not all) sugar from your diet, besides naturally occuring sugars in fruits. Fruit juice isn't ideal, though, go for the real thing.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Wasn't there just a thread about this?

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    From what I've gathered the ideal diet is about 5 small meals a day, each of which consist of protein, good carbs and good fats. That's difficult to do, but is a good thing to shoot for. I'm working on getting there, but it's hard.

I think it's more important to focus on what you eat as opposed to how much. Keep moderation in mind, but at the same time it will make more of a difference if you eat foods that keep you full longer. Things like cookies, chips (and even worse, soda and juice) fill you up right away, but then break down and leave you hungry again. Things like Almonds and All-Bran (check out All-Bran bars, they cut hunger and actually taste quite good) do the opposite; they stay with you for much longer, in turn helping you to eat less. Also, drink lots of water, to make sure your hunger is actually hunger, and not thirst.

The concept I'm working on right now (thanks to both Peter Squire as well as a book called 'the GI diet') is based on the fact that low GI foods are good, high GI foods are bad. Things like cake and cookies are high GI; they spike insulin, and cause your body to lean towards converting muscle into energy, which is what you don't want. Low GI foods, like veggies and whole wheat things do the opposite; they move you body away from converting muscle to energy and towards converting fat into energy, which is good.

I highly recommend you check out this book, the GI diet. While it has yet to give me the results I want (also to lose the belly) I still have to get rid of various bad foods in the house (pasta, croissants) because I have moral issues with letting it go to waste, and my mom won't eat it. Once this is gone I'll be able to give a more accurate review of the book.

Also, much of this advice is from the words of Peter Squire, so I'm sure he'll be able to give much better advice.

Good luck! :)
    Apparently it mysteriously disappeared...

7. my exercise is gracie jui jitsu...great fun, in two months of training once a week (had last week off work so i trained 3 times) ive lost almost 15kg without changing my eating patterns

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, but it was started by the banned Nickthebassist under a different user name, so it was deleted when discovered, and all the helpful info in the thread disappeared.

9. i wondered what happened to that kid.....he added me on msn aggeess ago and he tried to tell me how paul mccartney sucked and his dad was saying that he was better than paul mccartney...ahahahahahahahahahahahaha...ahh the good ol days

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    :D

Damn I miss Nick. His threads were always entertaining.

11. oh yes, i remember the "people who break their guitars suck" where he dissed hendrix and pete townsend..oh happy days, and shooting his bird or something like that

12. 43%, I was just about to post a thread like this one, 'cos I have a similar query. Mind if I ask it here?

I have a little girl belly, and I want it gone - I don't want man-abs or anything, nor do I want to look like I'm not eating, but I do feel a bit pudgy and I'm finding that a lot of my favourite shirts don't fit me any more. Would cardio and good diet alone be a good way to get rid of it? I'm not hot on going to a gym (because I have no money for membership, and I can't drive to a gym); doing something like going for a run every day would be better if it works.

I reckon I put a bit of weight on over Christmas, not only because everyone thought to buy me lots of chocolate, but also because I've been off for about five months now (long break between high school and university). I used to walk to school and that kept me sort of in shape - not fit, but I wasn't unhealthy either. Would twenty minutes walk to and from the bus-stop knock some fat off as well?

Sorry to shift the focus, 43%, but it's probably better I ask here than start another thread.

13. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Eat less, do more. It's really that simple...in theory!

14. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm not going to comment on any of the specific "facts" in this thread, but I think it's important to keep in mind that many of the dieting/exercising distinctions made are arbitrary. Personally, I don't know whether it's better to exercise in the morning or at night, or to eat 5 small meals vs. 3 big meals vs. whatever, but I've heard so many different experts with so many different theories that I only do what I feel is right. For me, that's eating all the time and never exercising (I don't believe in it).

I've been on the Atkins diet for years and I strongly recommend it. There are many other diets based on it (South Beach, "GI," etc.). Just eat less carbs and you'll lose weight. Focus on more "complex" carbs: fiber is better than starch is better than dextrose etc.

15. Ahhhhhh, so that's what happened to that thread.

Now I can sleep at night.

16. its not all about what you eat, exercise....brazillain jui jitsu is great, i mean, what else is better, you get to wrestle, meet great new people and learn how to hurt people:)

my mate who's been wrestling for over a year now is on the warrior diet, eat only fruit and a handful of nuts during the day and at night a big salad, and abig serving of carbs....and he's losing weight pretrty quickly on that

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You know, I was just searching for that thread for a specific post on ab exercises because I wanted to try the one about going up and to your left while bringing your left leg closer or whatnot, but I'm not entirely sure of the finer points. Damn.

18. Coincedently, lately I've come to the conclusion I must too lose weight. I've been riding my bike (usually 8-10km rides to start) at least 3 times a week and also eating more fruit and trying to cut down on drinking and snacking at night.

Does anyone know about the 'body mass index'. Seems simple enough, I calculated it according to my height etc and it wasn't good but then people have said it can depend on other things such as body shape. ??

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The big thread got deleted, there was a lot of great info inthere...

Anyway, I'm off buying descent running shoes this afternoon, and I plan to go running again 3 times a week. I hope my shin holds, because last time I picked up jogging, I think I had a shinsplint. But, it has rested for several months now, and with a very low level to begin with, descent shoes, warmup before stretching (terrible mistake I made, stretching on cold muscle), jogging on a constant surface (very important), it should work. If not, I'll switch to cycling, get a heartbeat meter and try to get that heart beating at 60% of it's max for as long as I can.

Also, a fysiotherapist told me traing at 60% of your max heartbeat (220 minus your age) is the best thing to burn fat. I assume he is correct?

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm studying to become an RN and one of the prerequisites to get into the program was the Science of Human Nutricion course.

you're definately doing the right thing by eating healthier. But realisticly, you can eat whatever you want as long as you exercise a little discipline and use proper portion control.

You should according to my professor, dietician at the VA clinic, and primary care physician, eat at least 5 small meals a day. Moderation is the key here. This is going to keep your metabolism going throughout the day.

You said you are cutting back on your sugar intake. thats also very wise. But remember this. Though you may be eating more fruits, they are very still very high in sugar. There are a few different types of sugar. Glucose (blood sugar) thats the bodies fuel. Lactose (milk sugar) self-explanitory,sucrose, sugar that occurs naturally in plants like sugar cane, sugar beets, apples, etc. and fructose also called levulose, this is found in corn syrups, soda, IIRC even table sugar. This is the sweetest of the sweet of the sugars because its enhanced to be extremely sweet. There is also Glycogin this is nothing more than the bodies storage of sugar in the human body. Its in your liver. It, in short, releases glucose into the body when your body is running low on fuel. (glucose)

Now keeping that in mind, the body has no way of knowing which form of sugar is which. It processes it all the same way. So ideally you'd want to cut back on the fruits and anything with sugar, including fruit juices and eat more vegitables. They're much lower in sucrose than fruits are, but more importantly, they're higher in dietary fiber. Another thing about sugar is that it is suspected to shut down the bodies ability to burn fat.

Cho's (carbohydrates) convert into sugar. Most Cho digestion takes place in the mouth, not the intestinal track, So with your Cho intake you want to cut back on the pasta, white bread, egg noodles, etc. Because by the time it hits your stomach you might as well have just eaten a bowl of sugar instead. Read the nutricional lables on the packages. Look for cho's that are high in dietary fiber. Foods Like Grape Nuts cerial, whole grain pastas and breads, legumes. Cho that are high in dietary fiber dont digest as quickly and they also cause a more gradual rise and decrease in your bodies glucose levels.

But on the whole it doesnt sound like you're eating badly. Like I said, moderation is the key.

The full body workouts arent a bad idea. But remember, musscle has more mass than fat, so you'll actually gain weight by doing these workouts. When you do these workouts use medium to light weight and high repititons. This will, as you probably already know, increase definition rather than bulk you up.

As for the eating before you exercise, we didnt discuss that in class and if we did I certainly dont remember it, but I do know that in the Marine Corps we would always start the day with exercise before breakfast.

These exercises consisted of jumping jacks, squat thrusts a.k.a. bend and thrusts, push ups, mountain climbers, and a two others that I forget the name of. But all of them had one thing in common. They were all aerobic and increased your heart rate. Once these were done, we'd go for a 5-10 mile run. Then when P.T. was concluded we would go eat our morning chow. The reason we'd P.T. before morning chow was because you are on an empty stomach. The body stores fat in a cumlitive order, meaning it burns off the most recent fat/caloric intake first, then works on the stored fat that was previously there. So I would recomend doing your morning exercises before you eat your breakfast.

So in short, a moderated well balanced diet of 5 small meals per day combined with a good areobic workout will have you shedding those unwanted pounds in your mid-section and throughout your entire body.

I used to weigh over 300 pounds. I'm now down to 240 by doing this routine again.

On a side note, to accurately check the nutricional label for total kilocalories (calories) use Atwaters Physiological Factors. I'm telling you about this because many nutricion labels are inaccurate.

Simply take the amount of Protien per serving and multiply it by 4, Carbs per serving and multiply it by 4, total fat per serving and multiply it by 9. I'll use a package of "Buddig Deli Cuts Shaved oven-roasted cured turkey breast & white turkey as an example for you.

It states the total kilocalories per serving (6 slices) are 80.
    Total fat grams are 4g x 9 = 36
    Total Carbs are 1g x 4 = 4
    Total Protein is 10g. x 4 = 40

So you can see the total caloric intake for one serving is 80 kcal. So this product is right on the money for its total kcal.

If the numbers dont exactly match up I wouldnt worry too much about it unless its more than 5 kcal off. But thats just me.

Hope this thread didn't bore you 1/2 to death and you found it useful. Good luck and stay determined.