1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get stain this color?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by screaminglucy, Apr 25, 2010.

1. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    I've got an ash body on the way. I'm going to finish with tru oil but i'm like to stain it wine red so it comes out like this color...
    77gibsonLesPaulWineRed.

what do you think i should use to stain it?

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    When in doubt about the wood or the finish, it's always a good idea to complete a test finish before you tackle the real project. Do yourself a favor and buy a piece of ash that's the same color as the body, and finish it first; better to learn on scrap than mess up your new body.

The good news is that ash isn't blotch-prone, so it's fairly easy to dye or stain. The bad news is that, because ash has large pores, the dye or stain will penetrate deeply enough that if you screw it up, you'll have a hard time removing the color; so-called swamp ash is not as dense as northern ash and will absorb more color.

For maximum clarity, use aniline dye instead of pigmented stain.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'd use the gibson cherry, but keep in mind that an ash body will look quite different than what's pictured above when its all done...

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    right - the mahogany is a big part of gibson's cherry color.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    These guys all speak the truth. Definitely use a dye rather than a stain (there is a big difference) I like water based dye rather than alcohol based. It will look different on ash rather than mahogany. And for sure practice on some similar scrap wood before you attack the bass. Don't just mix up the dye, slap it on and call it done. Put a couple of top coats of finish on after the dye is dry enough. The top coats will alter the look significantly.

Do lots of research before you start.

6. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i found a transtint dye called red mahogany. i'm going to try this on some scrap and see how the color is

7. Also the stew make Color Tone cherry red with a healthy helping of black can get you there. super easy to work with, water/alcohol based dye.
    [​IMG]

8. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    well this is what i got so far...close enough for me

truoil5.