1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get started?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TStorm, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Coop DS

Coop DS

Jun 8, 2016

Hi my name is Cooper and I have a couple questions about some tuning options. I'm filling in for a band's bassist and they have a song in "A" tuning and two songs in "B" tuning. I have a 5 string and a 4 string and if anyone could help me out with what these turnings are and which bass you'd recommend, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Getting started then stay in standard tuning since you are not as worried about easy chord shapes as much as guitarist are. With the 5 string should the guitar tune to open B the b string will be your lowest note.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  3. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I bought the bass, took the bass home, pulled out the IPhone, found a song on YouTube with Tabs. A hour later I am playing that song. The point is: check out YouTube.

reddog likes this.
  4. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I yet to watch this guys videos but seen them on the list of recommended but I have to ask: WHAT'S WITH THE GLOVE?

5. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Nickel allergy IIRC.

Scott is a member of TB but I can't remember his username.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No, it's a nerve condition that causes his hand to spasm. The glove tricks his nervous system somehow to prevent it. He explained on one of his youtube videos.

delta7fred likes this.
  7. hrodbert696

Slightly old post, but since the thread is stickied - Focus on learning NOTES. I see this all the time, especially with metal guys, an attitude (generally coming from guitarists) that because the guitarist is playing a seven-string, you have to play a five-string, or because the guitar is tuned to drop-D you have to tune to drop-D, or whatever. All of that is nonsense, and a clear signal that the guitarist is not as good of a musician as he thinks he is. Figure out what NOTES you are playing and play a bass that is tuned to enable you to reach those NOTES. That MAY mean going for a fiver or drop tuning or whatever, but it doesn't have to.

Jhengsman likes this.
  8. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Thanks, my memory ain't what it used to be.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  9. Gilligan8

Gilligan8

Oct 2, 2016
    Here is some advice from both sides of the isle in a sense.

When I started out almost 30 years ago playing guitar, I got a guitar teacher. Thankfully he was a great one and I was a good student. I wanted to learn all about theory and technique. He had LOTS of great advice and exercises for me to develop that.

I'm UBER glad that I learned all of that. When, 30 years later, I was kind of thrown into playing my first gig (and as a bass player at that), I was able to draw from all that "useless" knowledge and do a decent job.

I called it "useless" knowledge because back then that was ALL I did, learned the theory and technique. I never put it in practice. I never got in a band, never actually played with anyone. It was almost 10 years before I realized I didn't know what rhythm/timing was. I didn't even have the understanding that I was supposed to be playing WITH the other guys. I some how thought it would magically happen or they would be just following me. I have no idea what I was thinking.

So... DEFINITELY learn the proper technique (that is something you will never lose and is ALWAYS paramount, for health and ability), definitely learn the theory and academic stuff that MalcolmAmos gave you (I've even been working through it and connecting a few dots that I've never put together over the years). Just don't forget to get with some guys and play and have FUN. I've never regretted learning all the theory and technique, but I do regret not putting myself out there and playing more with other people.

10. JonathanAlvarez

JonathanAlvarez

Aug 31, 2016
    Melbourne
    G'day mates:
    I read this site StudyBass - Free Online Bass Lessons and I found it good. It is not about playing cover song, it about been a bass player. What's your role, how to play properly and so on.
    There is a lot of reading, but good reading I believe.

11. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Since this is a "recently" revived thread, I thought I might pop in and share a little success I've had a few weeks ago with my music-illiterate guitarrists (yes, both lead and rhythmic) in one of my bands. Neither can read notation, and one can barely read tabs (she's a lost cause, but we're friends...long story). Neither of them know the notes on their fretboards (although the lead guitarrist can count up to the fret and within some 10 seconds figure out what note it is). Forget scales, odd chords et al.

So my focus at the moment is teaching them at the very least the notes on the fingerboard: I used an idea I "stole" from MarloweDK: I made a simple 100 BMP guitar backing track (only drums and bass) looping a 12 note circle-of-fifths (actually progressing in fourths), with chord changes every 4 bars. They have to do their guitar parts with power chords in AT LEAST 2 different places in the first 6 frets; the 4 bars for each chord gives them plenty of time to find the additional position that isn't just 1 string higher.

It seems to be working for them. Which means it will work with ANYONE. So kudos to Mr MarloweDK. Here's a link to his video, which is a MUST for beginners:

12. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I know what you mean about guitarists, ours is very good at all the fancy chords but has no idea what the notes are once he gets beyond "Farmers corner" (first position chords). I wish I had a GBP (or Euro or USD) for every time he started a lead break one fret away from where he should be.

Put a capo on and he is completely stumped, he cannot seem to connect that putting a capo on the 2nd fret moves all the chords up by a full tone. Our setlists have the song and the key it is in, mainly for my benefit because I have a memory like a sieve. He does the setlists and if a song requires a capo he leaves the key blank.

I have long since given up trying to explain it to him, it never ends well!

13. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Hey Welcome to the club!!
    in my opinion that depends on what you want to acomplish with music

1. Playing for fun (hobby)
    2. Taking it serious (paid gigs etc.)

1. if you're playing just for fun to hang out with your friends etc.
    just keep doing what you're doing Learn new songs Rock on and Enjoy !

2. if you want to eventually want to play out with different Bands paid gigs etc.
    Then I think you should STOP now find a qualified Bass music teacher and start from scratch to prevent Bad habbits from developing wish will be extremely hard to break later on!
    (finger positions etc.)

When it comes to scales/music theory etc. as boring as it mite be
    scales are extremely inportant to know in any gender of music!
    at the very least to know rite notes to play if song is a minor or mayor !
    so that myth so many beginer Bass player hear out there that C is just C meaning
    C+(CM)is the same as C-(Cm)
    that on Bass it doesn't matter!(?)
    "NOT TRUE!!"
    there is a difference & it does matter!

the 3rd makes all the difference !
    But to know that you need to learn your scales etc.
    So go at it ! have fun!
    Hope this helps good luck rock on!

14. Mition

Mition

Mar 16, 2017
    Thank you for a amayzing and useful information!:bassist::hyper::thumbsup:

hrodbert696 likes this.
  15. hrodbert696

You're welcome, if that was including me.

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny this thread is a sticky when the OP stopped visiting TB only a month after posting, and that was nearly three years ago?

Larry V likes this.
  16. Tracy Beamon

Tracy Beamon

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi guys, my name is Tracy they call me olefunk. I play drums but i picked up a Peavey bass and I'm going for it. I'm 54 years old and I have small hands with short fat fingers. I've been checking out this site called yousician. Anyone familiar with it? Anyways I need all the advice I can get. Oh I am also new to this forum.

17. Do both! You need to learn how to play your instrument ,#1, and also learn how to apply that knowledge to songs you love, #2. This keeps you motivated!

18. Tracy Beamon

Tracy Beamon

Mar 31, 2017
    Thanks I will

19. BuDa

BuDa

Jun 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Very interesting thread. I'm a longtime sax player considering learning the bass, and this is my first post on this forum. A lot of info and links to useful videos. Thanks to all of you.

20. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Would finger-less work for him?