1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get started?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TStorm, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Elfsocks

Elfsocks

May 13, 2018
    London
    I have just got a student who is quite an interesting case. Comes from a very musical family (dad is a producer and the CEO of a massive label and ridiculously good bass player, uncle is noted jazz player, brother is an awesome drummer). She is a classically trained pianist, flautist and classical-style guitarist but has decided to play bass (good girl). Her "issue" is that she can only play if the music is in front of her. She can't improvise or ad lib etc. She can play scales by wrote, but she doesn't really understand why the notes are related to each other. They want me to teach her how to play the instrument and understand it, and not use notation at all. She will be in good stead one day, as she will be able to do both, because her sight reading is excellent, but she will also be able to cope without the instructions in front of her.

On a separate note, my sight reading is seriously poopieE. I got a gig singing tenor in a choir performing Elgar's Dream of Gerontious a couple of years ago, which was absolutely nails, but a helluva good kick up the arse to improve my sight singing.

2. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Not to rekindle the debate but... we press down on frets not up so this fact isn't relevant to fretting hand power only release power which is a return to the rest position of the hand in free air so there is no resistance to power through. That said... play the way that is comfortable to you. If it hurts, stop. If you have to contort your body to follow a standard, don't.

3. What did you use? If tab, there is a better way IMO. Get the chords used in the song and play notes of the active chord - follow the rhythm and play just roots of the active chord first.

When that flows add the 5, R on the first beat and the root's 5th on the third beat. I let Google call up the chord progression for me. Use these search words; chords, name of the song.

With tabs you learn one song. Following the active chord and using notes of that chord you can play thouhsands of songs. Yes you need the chord progression - use Google.

Have fun.

4. dbail10

dbail10

Oct 29, 2011
    I love reading through all of the forums on talkbass as they are incredibly interesting and helpful. So, I'm struggling with where I'm at as a bass player. I started learning in my 50s. Been at it for about 6 years. I love playing. I actually enjoy practicing too. But I really feel like I'm stuck with being a mediocre player. I've actually grown discouraged and disappointed. I really want to get better. But I still struggle with learning tunes, hearing things the right way, playing certain fingering combinations. I've tried slap, but even through I have practiced it, I'm stull brutal at it. I struggle with creative fills and I feel like I'm still just guessing at a lot of things. I've the chance to gig a few times but I literally kill myself learning playlists. The gigs went well and I had a lot of fun playing them. Admittedly, I was a root note faker on a few tunes because it was challenging to learn what I needed to given the time I had to work with. I'd love to glide up and down the neck, be able to take what is in my mind and translate it to the neck more naturally - fills and all. I'm not sure what I can do at this point to take things to another level. My instructor has been good, and he's patient which I appreciate. I'll take any advice anyone has to offer. Anyone else been through this?

MCF and jharms80439 like this.
  5. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Info:
    The Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete Edition by Ed Friedland, second edition, comes with a link to the corresponding audio that can be downloaded. And in case you don't already have a player that can do these things, you can also use the player at their website that has variable speed, A-B repeat, a pitch micro-adjustment, and pan L-R, with the bass on the right; you can pan to include it or not.

But here's why I posted, as I haven't seen anyone mention this: the audio totals 3 hours. It's more than I expected. Instructions on how to get there are inside the front cover.

And if you finish this book your reward could be more books by the same author (as discussed in other threads here), and their titles look juicy.

I agreed with the advice at Scott's Bass Lessons, to start by learning the major scale over the whole fretboard, and in every key too. But there are different ways to subdivide that task, and I decided to get there via this book, and to finally learn to read music as I'm doing that.

G-Dog and MCF like this.
  6. JPablo4sb

JPablo4sb

May 16, 2019
    That's cool to hear another person out there start down a similar journey. I found a Bass Guitar sitting next to a dumpster a few days ago and I have been working on the notes and scales, but I'm pretty impressed that you are playing songs. I have kinda started a song(if I can Dare to call it that) of my own.
    Oh if anyone one list a Bass in the St.Pete area hmu.

7. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Welcome. Only three(3) things I would recommend: 1. Take lessons. 2. Take lessons. 3
    Take lessons

8. JPablo4sb

JPablo4sb

May 16, 2019
    Thank you that is something I've done, the TB tutorials are great! I also plan on taking one on one lessons the near future, as well as getting with a few friends that play.

GoLeafsGo likes this.