Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get that COLORED sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whitey, May 3, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I have an SWR workingman 12 amp. I like the amp alot, but it really projects the true sound of your bass. I was wanting to know what would I need(effects) or any other mean besides getting a new amp, to color my sound like the Fender Bassman Amps? I am new to bass playing and desire that colored sound. I don't know how to explain what I mean by colored or that Fender bassman sound but I know you all will know what I'm looking for. Thanks

2. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    SoCal
    Easy for me,, I was made in Africa!

But for you?? Hmm,, I would just trade in your SWR for a Fender Bassman combo if thats what you want! Although I would personally rather have the amp that lets the bass's true colors come thru!

I'm an idiot when it comes to effects and preamps for bass,, so I really cant help you with any "effects" so to speak.

This should be moved to the Amps forum.

3. Hughes & kettner tubefactor at factor 1 gives you very nice vintage colouration of your sound.

4. thread title + username = comedy gold.

5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    OT: DHC, do you post on Something Awful? And on topic, if you want the bass man sound..buy a bass man.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Thanks DHC! I thought I was just being overly sensitive to this one. I'll just let it slide without further comment.

Peace,

James (who is black or african american, but DEFINITELY NOT "colored") Martin :rolleyes:

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yo man, with a hanlde like "Whitey," you need to be more careful with your choice of words in your post's subject line.

To answer your question, Eden amps have a sound that adds quite a bit of low-mid emphasis and fatness to the sound of your bass, unlike more transparent amps like SWR, EA, etc. I would not recommend a Fender if you've been using SWR, you may find the difference a shock. But an Eden might just do it for you...

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Tech 21 SanAmp Bass Driver DI. Trust me. :D

9. mmmmmmmmmmmaybe

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ...I was wondering if I was the only one that saw that.

11. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    First let me say that I am sorry to anyone that I may have offended. It was not my intention. Being new to bass and its language that is the only thing I have heard used to describe the effect of changing the sound of a bass. Thanks to all the guys who "quickly" saw this. I hope that you all can just get a good laugh out of my slip up and not take it at all seriously. Again, sorry to all.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Don't feel too bad about the wording issue-i did that a few months ago & i've been a member for a while. With regards to the amp, go to a store and try out all that you can-it's part of how i got my bassman 200 [& yes i like the colored sound-it sounds great to me, however my dream rigs are an Ampeg & a SWR, then a bagend to scare people back to the topic :D ] Try out all you can to see if you like the others more. Good Luck.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Don't sweat it:)

Hope you got your question answered.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whitey ~

Anyone who was offended by your thread title and/or screen name should go get a life. PC can be taken too far. Whether it was intentional or not, I think it's funny.

15. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I agree Munji. Whitey, I hope you get your answer in spite of this humorous diversion. There are lots of opinions in previous posts regarding uncolored/colored sound. Try a post search for additional comments. In the end the coloration you desire is for your ears only. All we can do is help you narrow the search. Personally, I like Eden. Now go get a tan and change your name :D

16. I second the SansAmp,it should get you closer to the sound you're looking for. Also,a Boss Bass EQ pedal might help too. Boost the lows and low-mids a little. Good luck...

17. I think the PC thing is a bunch of crap.

Speaker manufacturers have been referring to speaker coloration for years... long before the PC thing became trendy. Listening to my JBL E110s playing a CD of live music will demonstrate coloration. Mine sound "bright yellow" and are a long way from a neutral tone.

18. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you don't want a new amp then I'd say either sansamp or Bass POD, would probably do it.