Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get that lovely fingerstyle growl

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Jan 25, 2005.

1. I was just listening to a track and the bassist has this wonderful fat farty fingerstyle punch. Any ideas on how I cna get a similar sound?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Details of track? :meh:

3. The track was recorded by Zenbass, but I can't get hold of him at the moment to ask him how he did it. It's just a generally growly sound, you sometimes get it in funky/poppy stuff.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My bet: 90% fingers and technique, 10% gear and settings.

5. I got it.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I bump the mids on my bass a bit and roll my blend just a touch to the rear pickup. Works with the Bart's.

7. :meh: I usually pan towards the front, and play over the rear pickups (with mids up a tad)

I thought if your roll towards the rear it would get more burpy than growly? :confused:

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sorry, you have to be a Townie to get that kind of sound.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Fender Jazz, more bridge pick up than neck pick up.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I can't be sure exactly what you mean, but when I think "wonderful fat farty", I think of one of my favorite sounds: passive bridge pickup; tone control on the bass rolled all the way off; Boss CS-3 pedal level=11:00, tone=1:00, attack=2:00, compress=11:00; Boss ODB-3 level=3:00, lows=1:00, highs=7:00, blend=9:00, drive=7:00; Hartke head with the high-mids on the 4-band EQ way up at 3:30. This turns out to be 'less than the least' distortion than the ODB will do, being that the output of the compressor is somewhat attenuated compared to when it's bypassed, but it really adds a nice, fuzzless growl.

So there-ya-go: growl verging on fart.

I love it.

Joe