Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get that low end sound but still have clarity?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Mar 16, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This has really been getting up my nose the last few weeks. Ive been listening to metallicas 'load' and 'reload' alot over the last month, and i wanted to ask something about the bass tone.

Jasons tone is really low and ballsy, but it still has clarity. Take for example The Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me. Jasons line really carries the song, but it almost 100% bass, but it isnt muddy!

How do i get a tone like that or similar? i boost the bass frequency, and my amp distorts (derr). I boost the mids alot, with generous amount of bass, and it still farts out. I do the same with no bass, and it still sounds awful!

Im not going to hit you all with the usual 'i love jason, his gear, and his tone' sorta thing, because i do :) But jokes aside, What can i do to get this nice defined ballsy tone?!

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I checked your gear in your profile, are you playing a Peavy 15 combo? That may be the culprit right there. What I found with bass gear and not all the time but most of the time is you get what you pay for. I started with a gkrb400 and a 15 sub, it farted and sucked. So I saved up and got an Eden head WT-800 and an ampeg 4x10 cab.....problem solved! Look into a better cab and head set up if I am right about your gear.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, my amp is far from the best, but it does a job well, just not the job i want it to do :spit:

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i dont know if this is exactley what youd be after, but what about the aphex stop box? that seems to give the tone more a more "powerfull" sound. they dont have any round my parts, but having listened to them on my computer, they seem to do what you want i think.
    hope this helps
    -marty