how to get that middle funk tone just like stingrays

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rully irawan, Jan 30, 2001.

1. rully irawan

rully irawan

Jan 30, 2001
    I played this intrumen only for a year and i still dont know its sound character iwant to get that middle sound from it...but I guess i just need more practice to get my own sound character...i hope every body who knows more about playing will share with me cause I'm still new in this
  2. Want Stingray-like funk tone? Buy a Stingray!
    Honestly there is *no* substitute for the real thing.

3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey Rully! Welcome to TalkBass :)

I see in your profile you have a Godin SD bass. What kind of amp are you using?

If your amp has separate bass-mid-treble controls, try boosting the mids.
    Different strings might also help in your quest for funkyness.
    I believe there are some related threads in the Strings forum. Try a search there on "funk".

Although more costly than strings, a new pickup(s) may help too.
    Basslines 1/4 pounder P-type or a DiMarzio P+J set for instance.
    ( )
    ( )

Another "gear" suggestion? Super-glue a Larry Graham CD into your player :p .
  4. rully irawan

rully irawan

Jan 30, 2001
    hey notduane thanks for the explanation I use this roland cube40 amp 12 inch sized and i've tried your suggestion and I almost got the tone and I also interested in that P+j set from di marzio but i still try to find where do they sell it here coz here in indonesia it'is so hard to find replacement pickups like that and if we have it in here i m affraid that I cant afford it coz the economic level of my country is so bad....and I think having a stingray for me its only in dreams..oh how about you what kind of bass do you use is it 5 or 4 strings?I prefer 4 you play in a band or something?ups i think i hve to cut this conversation coz i got to go home..and sorry if my english is not so good.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Are you handy with a soldering iron or know someone who is? You could try this -
    swap out the capacitor in your Godin's tone control. You should be able to get a bag
    of different values for around $5[USD]. They'll probably look something like this...

...The values should be between .02 and .200 microfarads. There should be a book
    in your local library on R/L/C filters. A good rule of thumb? "The higher the value,
    the more bass output from the tone control at its "zero" setting."
    I've got five 4-strings. My favorite's a Rob Allen MB-2. No I'm not in a band (yet).

Do NOT worry about your English. You're doin' fine :).
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's a "middle tone"? The classic StingRay funk sound is a a LACK of midrange.

The 2-band StingRay EQ is boost only so when you crank the tone controls up you are boosting lows and highs which means less mids. Although it's placed close to the bridge, the StingRay pickup has a thicker tone than something like a Jazz Bass pickup. Put the two together and that's why they sound beefier when slapped than a J-Bass.

Try this EQ on your amp: crank the bass up quite a bit, crank the treble a little and CUT the midrange. Use only your bridge pickup.
  7. rully irawan

rully irawan

Jan 30, 2001
    hey not duane thanks again for the information and I want to ask you something what the name for the "thing" inthat image and what does it use for??rob allen mb 2 thats good!!oh yea i want to ask you some thing what is a piezo pick ups?
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    The things in the image are "capacitors" (C). They're used for a variety of things.
    In the context of your Godin's tone controls, they are being used with the potentiometer (R)
    and pickup (L) as part of a variable R/L/C audio filter.

Here's a good site that goes a little deeper... .
    A piezoelectric pickup is a different method of transferring a string's
    vibration. Other methods are magnetic (popular) and optical sensors (recent).
    Piezos translate a mechanical stress into an electrical charge. Some popular vendors
    are Fishman, barcus-berry, and L.R. Baggs. Magnetic pups produce an output when
    the movement of a ferrous object (i.e., the string) passes through a magnetic field.
    The new optical pups ("Lightwave") have an infrared pair of emitter/detector diodes for each string.
    The vibrating string sits between the emitter and detector, varying the beam's strength to
    the detector.

Here are some more links that may help...

Info (just type in your question in plain English)