Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get that phat funk sound.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SirFunk, Jul 2, 2005.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hey there, I'm really curious how some bass players get a certain sound. Alot of "underground" funk/jambands have this sound... Off the top of my head i can think of: ULU (ulu.net) and the Poogie Bell Band (poogiebell.com).

The best way i can describe this sound is really phat with a real smooth, yet defined attack.

Now, like with any "sound" i know there are MANY factors that contribute. I know these guys have killer basses and amps, i'm sure that helps some.. but is there more i'm missing? Do you think they are using some kind of processor? A certain finger technique? Certain strings?

Any ideas?

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    When I see a band where the bass player really stands out(not common, sadly) I usually go check out their gear while they play. From the pedals(if they use them) to the type of bass, how they play it(pick and/or finger) and the head and cabinet setup.

Hope this helps,

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I wouldn't be surprised if you were talking about a wah/autowah/envelope filter. Check those out in the effects section.

But funk is more about feel/note placement than the sound.

4. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Yeah.. it's definitely not an auto-wah.. the tone is very straight... if anyonewants to hear samples both of those websites have some i think.

Also, yeah, next time i see some bands that have this sound i'll make a point to check it out.. this venue however doesn't have any shows in the summer, and it's REALLY hard to get close enough to the stage to see without being trampled by flailing hippies :-D but i'll try.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I use the autowah on my Ibanez SB7 on funky stuff. It really lays it on! :cool:

6. I didn't hear much in the way of effects. Maybe a little overdrive to get a growl.
    There's an amp model on my bass pod called "sub dub". It's a very low, moog-type tone without the muddiness that comes along with cranking your bass and dropping mids and highs on your amp. Sounds kinda like the samples on the poogie bell site.

7. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Maybe that's just it... the EQ with lots of bass and little mids/high... however i think that'll lose a lot of the definition... the sound these guys have still has tons of definition... I'll try i tout when i get to practice with my band today and have access to my amp.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Email the bands and ask them.

EDIT: After listening to the Poogie Bell stuff...

I would suggest boosting the lows on your EQ... a lot. If you can, also boost the high mids a bit to keep the definition. Cut the treble. Some sort of slight overdrive from a pedal might help get some growl. Using 10" speakers would help, in my opinion... though I realize that means spending money.

Also, use a P bass. :smug:

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The best way to get a sound for a style is to play that style alot. No matter what your equipment is, if you play in a style, your sound will evolve and you will get a feel for the music and your sound will respond accordingly.