Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to get that tone

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Right now i'm really into nofx and I am really in love with fat mike's tone especially on the so long an thanks for all the shoes cd. if you want a good sample of his sound listen to the track dad's bad news

my question is: Ireally want to get that tone, how can I acheive that.

I think that on this record he used an American Deluxe P-bass with ernie ball strings.

Is there any solution other than buying that bass.

Do you think that changing my strings to ernie ball could help.

thanks in advance.
    Martin

2. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    Well to get his exact tone you'd have to buy the Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass with the ernie ball's but, he has more recently used [because of back problems] a black, Danelectro Ho-Dad (active) & a Danelectro DC bass. Cheaper. I tried the whole wanna have Fat Mike tone. The Ernie Balls do give your bass a slight 'nofx-ish' sound but not exact tone. you can't get even close without active pickups because that's where it all comes from. Yeh I'm probably of no help but ugh. . . yeh

3. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    When I saw NOFX play recently he used a Danelectro Hodad (wood finsish with white pickguard) and An Ampeg 8x10 Anniversary edition cabinet. I didnt see what head he was using though.

4. Remember that even with NOFX's actual instruments you may not be able to sound the same. A lot of a person's tone comes from how they play--their technique, touch, right hand placement, etc. Also keep in mind that playing through an amp at home and playing through multi-thousand-dollar preamps, compressors, fx, and EQ in the studio are going to sound totally different.

try to get YOUR sound.
    G

5. BOOYAH!!!.....my thoughts exactly. The world doesn't need another Fat Mike...whoever he is.

6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    The world needs more talented bassists, and Fat Mike is fairly talented (he plays some complicated stuff at times, sings, writes songs for bass, guitar, drums, trumpet (which he doesnt play), and melody lines.

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    BOOYAH!!!

8. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    B OO YAH

I believe I win the award for best booyah

9. old_skool