Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get that treble Geddy Lee Rush in Rio sound?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by him666, Jul 21, 2005.

1. I always liked the Ric sound of Geddy, but i like his sound at the dvd of Live in Rio much too. How can i get such a nice sound? Much treble i guess

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, there are several factors, but I guess the main ones are:

- His technique (his fingering approach is quite unique)
    - His bass (the Geddy Sig nails that growly tone). Got GAS ?
    - His gear (Sansamp RBI for that overdriven sound)

3. In the case of acquiring Ged's recent tone you have to realize his right hand attack. He is probably the best in the world at the upstroke-downstroke strumming technique (at least on an electric bass guitar). He's damn near perfected that technique even though he's only recently introduced it into his playing.

How in the hell you get the string to react like that with your fingernail on a downstroke like that is beyond me. That's because I'm a strictly 2 finger attack kinda guy like Rocco, (and actually the earlier Geddy tchnique).

Geddy is simply a stellar bassist.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Pretty much what others have said. A nice new set of Rotosounds will help. I believe that's what he uses. The Geddy Lee jazz bass (I'm GASing so bad) will help, as will the SansAmp for driven, Avalon U5 for clean and the speaker emulator (can't remember which one) that he uses.

5. Yeah but he doesn't use much overdrive at the Rush in Rio dvd i think. Anyway im gassing for such a geddy jazz too, it looks beautiful and sounds great..

Anyway i wish someone put video lessons of the Geddy strumming technique instead of that useless double thumb lessons.. :bawl:

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Yes, his attack is certainly incredible. I think "Virtuality" from
    Test for Echo is a good example.

However, I`ve been watching (once more) Rush in Rio DVD and in "YYZ", during the guitar solo, he`s using this technique.
    I was wondering how he originally played that part in the 80`s.

7. and don't forget to set up the washing machine cabs...they really give him a "clean" sound!! hahahaha!! ha!

8. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    To get a trebly finger tone you need finger nails only a few mm long. Just barely to the tip of the finger. Play with the fingers upright and dig in. The nail will catch on the strings and you'll get a completely different tone. When I forget to clip my nails, that's what happens.

I can also quickly put my middle finger on the top of my index and use it as a pick and can get some serious speed on it.

You don't need a Geddy Jazz. I use a Schecter Elite-4.

-Eric.