Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to get the action even lower

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by loma, Feb 18, 2004.

1. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    im a fender guy, i have a fender jazz, and i love playing it, either finger style or the occasional slap and pop. and slapping and popping on the jazz is extremely fun/rewarding.
    i recently purchased a ibanez BTB405, which has the mono rail II bridge. and i noticed when i pop the G string i want the string even lower because when i popped on the fender i always used a certain spot on my finger, its a bit closer to the tip of the finger. but now on the iby when i pop its closer to the first joint and thats because i like to bounce off the body when i pop. i also realized that its because of the 3 ply pick guard i have on the jazz that it seems lower cause my finger bounces off a higher spot that on the BTB. so i was wondering if theres any way to lower the G string even more than just using the bridge so its more like popping a jazz

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Sounds like you're going to have to throw a pickguard on the Ibe to get what you're after.

3. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    thats exactly what i think im gonna have to do, or just get used to a little more space. what pickguards do u suggest would fit on a BTB405

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not something I've ever messed with but if nothing else you get 3 ply blanks from stewmac.com or any number of other places. One way or another you should have no problem obtaining the desired outcome.

5. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    do you think the ATK pickguard would fit on it?

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't know. The ATK's a different model so it may or may not, and there's the 3 ply issue. But soundgears are essentially flat so you should have no problem configuring something that will work, which from a practical standpoint is all you need. You go trying to swap pieces on stuff and you soon realize they never make the same piece twice. Why did Ibanez make a different neck joint for their low end 2 octave necks? You can't take a neck off a GSR 300 and put it on a 200. Wouldn't it be cheaper to route the bodies the same. Who knows.

I'm going to be crafting my own pickguards shortly. I like the low end soundgears but they only come in PJs, so I'm going to route them for J's and MM's then fit a pickguard so it doesn't look like a chop job. I don't anticipate it to be a formidable task.