1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get the clicky sound out of a bass. Help please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by motionkid, Oct 4, 2008.

1. motionkid

motionkid Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    I just got in a hard rock/metal band. For certain songs I need the REALLY clicky sound. Ive tried turning the mid range up on my bass amp and playing with a pick. Any advice would REALLY be appreciated. I have a made in mexico Fender Jazz Bass Active Deluxe bass run through a Crate BT1000 amp if that helps any. I play mainly in standard and drop "d".

Copy and paste that link to hear what I mean. If you know how HELP!!!!!!

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Play aggressively with low action, crank the highs. Fieldy is a mid scooper believe it or not.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    slap it

4. experiment dude...

5. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    +1

a HUGE mid scooper. the sound is made from the strings wacking their way against the 24th fret and a mighty slap or 2...so put up the bass and highs, heavy pick/fingerstyle/slap and click away :)

6. Caveman3312

Caveman3312

Jul 20, 2008
    California
    i don't know how low u'd like to go but how bout this

Steve digiorgio buys six strings packs and then tunes the bass

EADGC

Since the groves in the nut are bigger than the the string it produces a clicky sound (Make sense?)

Just a thought

7. fieldy tunes to A flat, then slaps the hell out of it.

8. stainless steel strings
    having a 5'er really helps
    scoop your mids
    play really hard, almost to the point that its funny looking

9. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Downtune and slap. I think he slaps further away from the neck as well.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Tell us what strings you're using.

Obviously, you want rounds. Steel should be best for you.

11. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    From what I have read in past article with Fieldy, he usually scoops all the mids out with the bass and treble boosted, i imagine he uses a compressor to even out his attack, you should be able to get something similar with that gk setup

12. Scoop the bejeesus out of the mids, and slap. Instant Fieldy.

I was able to emulate his tone pretty well once when I tried using my old Conklin GT-5, and an Ampeg SVT-III Pro with the mids completely removed (on the graphic eq and the dials), and slight bass boost, and more pronounced high end boost.

13. motionkid

motionkid Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    Im using Ernie Ball standard size strings. I think there silver??? I never really payed attention to if they were nickel or not.

14. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    Crank the bass and Treble all the way up and take the mids COMPLETELY out. New strings help as well.

15. Active preamps, especially Bartolini, help with this. Play closer to the neck also as the string tension is less around this area and the strings will slap down on the frets and pickup covers. Stainless steel round core strings, like DR High Beams, are a must for that sound. As others have stated, cranked highs and lows with scooped mids are the settings for that tone so you must also have an active preamp.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Oh... I read the thread name and thought he wanted to get 'RID' of the clanking.

:-/

17. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I am putting this in my sig, this post is full of lulz.

Back on topic, set your action up real low, get some stainless steel strings, scoop your mids, dig in hard.

18. Aside from boosting lows and highs, and cutting the mids, the most important part of the fieldy sound is to crank the horn on your cab if you have one. I read somewhere that his recorded sound was DI from the head and miked horn...

So yeah. Do this, tune comically low and slap away!

19. How to emulate Fieldy...

give your Grandmother a pint of whiskey, throw her your bass, and let her beat the tar out of it :D

How to emulate Fieldy's tone...

kick Granny's dog while she's wailing on your bass :D :D

20. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Adjust your strap so that your bass is on your ankles. Then you will have to move your right hand more to hit/pluck the strings. Simple physics. Nobody can deny the laws of physics.