Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get the loudest/cleanest sound out of my rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by QUSP, Jan 30, 2003.

1. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    I currently own an Eden WT-800 and the Navigator w/WT1000 power amp. Cabs include 210XLT, 410XLT, 115XLT and 410XST. I usually use one of the 410's for most gigs. (ocassionally combining them) Sometimes I might even go with a 210 on top. I just wanna get some input re: different setups, different EQ settings, bridged mono vs. stereo, how the crossover plays a part in this, using both channels on the power amp, the relationship between the power amp/preamp, etc. All suggestions and opinions welcome.

2. Turn your master volume all the way up for the best dampening ratio's and tightness of tone; this will do the best to control the speaker cone movement. Control your overall volume with your preamp gain instead.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, that's not correct. The amp's gain control doesn't affect damping factor at all (unless you turn the gain up so high that the amp clips).

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, I always found the WT400 and WT800 to be good preamps, I just never cared much for the power amps in 'em. So in your case, I'd turn up the input on the 800 until the light winks on the loudest notes, then back off a bit. That way, you'll get fat tone. EQ to taste before you set the level, btw. Then control overall volume with the amp. Should be pretty sweet. Good luck.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm not familiar with Eden stuff - but if you own all those toys, you OUGHT to know how to optimize. ;)

Some other thoughts...

More speakers = bigger and IMO better sound. I'm currently stuck with a single SWR Goliath cab and I'm oh-so hungry for a second one. If I had your cab inventory, I wouldn't play a single 4x10 if I was even the slightest bit worried about my sound being loud and clean enough.

I think a lot of players dial in too much bass on their amps. Even if you've got the power to pump lots of clean bass, it tends to step on frequencies that give your sound definition and nuance. And since lower frequencies take so much power to reproduce, lightening up on the low end will free up watts that can make your apparent volume much greater.

Anyway, sounds like a great inventory of toys to experiment with - it ought to be fun trying different combinations out to see which is best. :)

6. I just know what every sound guy has told me and that was it. Certainly has worked for me.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I didn't say it wouldn't work with the amp turned up all the way, only that you're not affecting the damping factor or control of the speaker cone in any way by doing so.

Keep in mind that not all drivers know how a car works and not all sound guys know how a power amp works.

8. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    Thanks for all the input. So is it better to have the master volume louder than the gain or the other way around? And how much louder should one be compared to the other?

9. A stereo compressor, linked.
    Adds multiple gain staging.

Almost doubled the volume from my amp.

10. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    Ok, hopefully someone will get to the question i just asked, but i have another question. What is the purpose of a compressor?

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    One isn't "louder" than the other. Use whatever works, but you'll get your best signal-to-noise ratio if you boost your signal mostly up front in the preamp and keep the power amp gain down to whatever sound level you want.

Another way to look at it would be to use the preamp "gain" to get the sound quality you want, and the master and/or power amp gain to set the volume.

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    1. start with master volume at a low level and adjust input gain so that the input clip led flashes occasionally (on loud and low notes)
    2. adjust master volume to desired level
    3. adjust EQ to your liking
    4. re-adjust input gain and master volume
      [/list=1]
      This should give you a clean signal (as long as you don't ask too much of the poweramp and/or the cabs) with best signal-to-noise-ratio
      (=low hissing noise compared to overall volume)

Matthias

13. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Bob Lee shoots and scores! :^>)

By the way, in spite of the fact that we're almost all bass players here........and, unfortunately, mostly males, a good thing to do when in doubt as to how to really get the most from your gear is to............golly, I almost hate to say this......is to......(takes a deep breath and blurtsit out).........actually READ the owners manual!! :cool:

I know, it's kind of like looking at a map when you're hopelessly lost and in the car with your wife or girlfriend, but it's been known to work.

PS: Having said that, I've never actually looked at an owners manual myself............but I HAVE heard that they're made for a reason. ;)

RB
    www.richbriere.com