How to get the most from your teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Feb 21, 2006.

1. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ok so since I've quit college and its looking likely that I've got a job sorted (interview tomorrow :eek: ) I'm going to have more time, more money, and a daily routine in place(will help me get a practice routine going) which are all good things.

Because of this I'm thinking about going back to taking lessons. The only guy that does them in my area isn't the most organised person in the world (like all true musicians:p) but is a respected and very knowledgable player. Like a lot of people who are experts in their field he knows a lot but can sometimes not be the best teaching what he knows.

There are a couple of things I'd like to study: Sight reading, General Theory, Rhthymic aspect of the bass, and get turned on to jazz/walking bass lines as well as slap grooves. This guy could be very useful in my developement as a player but I don't think when I got lessons from him before that we achieved my full potential as a student or his as a teacher.He never really had a lesson plan it was more improv teaching(thats probably his jazz side coming out:p) I feel that I might have to coax information out of him and get him to explain things more than once.That the onus is more on the student to keep asking and steer the direction of the lesson than for him to teach and steer the lesson.

My question to you is how can I make the most of this less than ideal situation?

What questions do I ask to try and make the most of our time in relation to the above topics.

Could you suggest sub groups of the above topics that are worth studying and other aspects that you feel are worth looking at.

What do you cover with your instructors?

Is there other things I should be doing at lessons taking notes recording the lesson etc.

Sorry for the long post its just hard to explain the scenario anyways as always all advice is graciously accepted
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've had several teachers over the years. Each one had his own personality and own way of handling classes. I do feel, however, that as a student you have to be pro-active in your own learning progression. While your teacher may have definite ideas about how he wants to approach your classes, you need to have imput also.

It is too bad your teacher seems disorganized, but try to discover his strengths and work around his deficiencies. Work to keep him focused and on task meeting your needs and objectives as a student.

I never responded well to "catch-as-catch can" approaches to lessons. I prefer something more structured, but other students work better with a looser regime.

Good luck with your classes. If you do begin to feel you are not learning what is important to you in a timely manner, diplomatically ask your instructor to adjust his teaching.