Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get the most out of your rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Sep 19, 2000.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I would just like to sum up what I've learned - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

First: I'm not talking about amp control settings. I assume that input gain is set properly, EQ setting is 'reasonable'.
    What I'm talking about is combination of head and cab(s) - which I believe should be an intersting question for anyone thinking about 'upgrading' his rig.

How to get the most out of a GIVEN CAB:
    Amp head should be overrated (about twice the rated RMS power, maybe more with unefficient cabs). Power is limited by the capability of the cab, amp never runs out of headroom (in the ideal case).

How to get the most out of a GIVEN AMP:
    Speaker surface and efficiency counts, but amount of cabs is limited by the impedance which the amp is capable of.
    This will usually lead to a setup with underpowered amp (eg. 300W head into two 4x10 cabs with total RMS rating of 800W). Power is limited by the capability of the amp (clipping).

Have I got that right?

BTW when considering both new head and cab I would go the first path: Choose a good cab first, then see which amp fits best and has enough guts to drive it.

Matthias

[Edited by Matthias on 09-24-2000 at 09:18 AM]

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Someone PLEASE respond to this - I really appreciate your opinions!! (Joris, Jim, Brad, Bruce, Munjibunga, Dave, Psycho,...?)

Thanks,
    Matthias

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - I think you have it, essentially. Given a "perfect" amplifier, your speakers will have the biggest effect on your overall sound quality. So ideally you pick the cabinets you like first, then get an amp that will complement them well. I don't think having twice the RMS power rating of the speakers is such a good idea, though. The best situation is to have the amp and speakers have the same RMS continuous power ratings - and have enough power AND efficiency so that you rarely drive the amp into clipping.

However, many of us already have amps we like, so then we have to pick an appropriate cabinet.

Mike

4. Matthias, let's take a look.

MikeyD sums it all up. You're in the luxurious situation where you can pick both a cab and an amp the really match up.

And I agree with an amp wattage equal to the cab wattage. If the amp clips, you won't destroy the cab as easily as with a 2x bigger amp. 300 or 600 watts amp power won't be that big a difference you'd think. Only 3 dB, which is only a bit louder.

On the other hand, if you ever want to add another cab, you'll also want more power (and probably not another amp, again), so maybe it's a good idea to keep future extensions in mind.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks,
    Matthias

6. I think it good to look ahead.Looking at where you perform,sometimes more isn't always better. I like a little extra power should another cab be neaded.Watch the min. ohms requirement. I like Eden amps but ohms don't match my rig.