1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get this acoustic guitar sound?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Armueller2001, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not too familiar with acoustic guitars, but I've been thinking about buying one in the near future, but I want it to sound a particular way. If anyone could listen to the song "Crashed Acoustic" on this page and tell me how to achieve this sound that would be awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/demztwonboyz

It sounds kind of like Godsmack's acoustic stuff. I don't know if its plugged into an amp or mic'd, or if they get that tone from special strings? :help:

2. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    buuump

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't think it's as quite as much the brand of guitar as it is the tunings the player is using, although it sounds like a Gibson J-200 or some Gibson Jumbo reissue type acoustic. (Sounds like Pete Townshend). It sounds like Drop C, or a variation of Drop D with the bottom string tuned to C. It also sounds like he's using a pick for the syncopated parts that many would play fingerstyle. That's how he gets the "brittle" or bright tone, I think.