1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get this amazing sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by USAOwnz, Sep 10, 2008.

1. USAOwnz

USAOwnz

Sep 7, 2008

I don't know where to start, I have a PJ, but something tells me this is Jazz territory, eh? I simply love it. Anybody know what would be best to reach in with a PJ bass? Different pickups maybe or settings?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, absolutely no effects, I can tell you that much. The buzzy synthy tone on top of the bass is a synth track, not the bass.

3. Well, yes, since it's clearly a Jazz in the video.

"Different strokes..." and all that, but to me that is a completely unremarkable tone.

Wind down most of your highs and a good chunk of your mids (but not all), boost 100hz and prepare to fall asleep.

I'd use both pups on a PJ, maybe backing off the P a little bit depending on how strong a 'P sound' it has. There's maybe a little compression in use.

4. USAOwnz

USAOwnz

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah I can see how you can hate the tone.
    It has somehow grown on me though for certain tunes.

5. They didn't say they hated it. To me, it's a "generic" sounding bass tone. But that's me...i like Aggro-Sludge bass tones, lots of fuzz and stuff, with that crackling stuff. Some would say my tone is unremarkable. I mean, you know, you like what you like...

6. USAOwnz

USAOwnz

Sep 7, 2008
    Ah, I see. I can see what you mean.
    I tend to have unorthodox taste in the bass department though.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Seems to me the Strokes bassist uses flatwounds. That bass sounded like it might have flats on it, too. I don't think that sound is hard to duplicate if you have flats. Turn both pickups on full, set your amp flat, and there you go.