1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get this fretless tone ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the low one, Mar 18, 2009.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    How can I get close to this fretless tone:

2. Experiment.

3. He's playing a Lakland j-bass thru a pedal board, so who knows what he's put on it. The tone controls are the 60's stack knob design. But the action seems too low for the type of player he is. You can hear the strings clack against the fretboard or pickup in spots. He's also playing over the bass pickup so I'm guessing he's got that one turned up higher than the treble/bridge pickup.
    I'm not too impressed with the over all mix of the band.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Unfortunately Floyd (don't flame me for not pointing out it's David) type material is tough to distinguish what is live.. what is sequenced.. what is bass and what is keys.

If I were to guess.. the player has a pedal board with a DI box coming out... sounds like there may be something like this

Bass with mid emphasis (possibly Roto Ground wounds?) => Pedal board (tube distortion + compressor?) => DI Box =>Board => Manipulated by a million dollar PA and full time sound designers.

In reality much of this "chasing the sound" is normally a dry bass going DI to a board.. the tone etc is then manipulated by a team of sound designers.... look at the pedal board.. it normally is tuner.. di.. then effects for the "amp" (personal bass monitor used at low stage volume).

Much of this sounded "padded" by keys

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    This is a much more raw recording, not DVD quality, but you can hear his tone very clearly at 2:57.

I think you're right about the pickup balance Bassmickeyd.

MNAirHead, I agree about "Bass with mid emphasis (possibly Roto Ground wounds?)" too