How to get this kind of tone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by markdavid, May 10, 2022.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Really like the tone on this song, I have posted the isolated track below rather than than the full song as is easier to hear what is going on that way.

I know that it is a jazz bass but it doesnt quite sound like my jazz bass when I play it, it sounds a bit darker but still has a good strong growl to it.

I might be completely wrong but it sounds like possibly some slightly hotter than average jazz bass pickups.

This was obviously played with a pick, any other ideas on how I can get a similar kind of tone (pickups, eq etc), thanks
    [Youtube]

2. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

He's got a lot of bottom going there for one thing and he's playing hard, neck pickup alone or dominate with the tone down low, that shouldn't be hard to get with a Fender Jazz. Bass control up high on the amp with the rest set flat? I think the key to the grit/growl though is his attack. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  3. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks, I will try adding some low end, I think I hear a little bit of mid boost there as he seems to not have a lot of high frequencies so i'm thinking the mids must be were he gets his definition

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. bobyoung53

Don't be afraid to experiment but I would start with the neck pickup louder than the bridge and add bass to the amp and start with mid and treble flat and experiment with them. When I'm in a new room if my normal setting don't sound good I set everything flat and go from there. Sometimes a little goes a long way, what kind of an amp are you using?

5. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks using a Rumble 200

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. bobyoung53

OK, I'm not real familiar with those except to play through one at an occasional jam. Let us know how you're doing though.

7. Interpol had a great rhythm section but the vocals and guitar left me wanting. That video confirms my feelings. IMHO, YMMV etc.

I think he tuned down to D which might explain some of the "tubbiness."

I think those are rounds but to me but modern flats (Chromes, Cobalts etc.) with a pick might get you something ballparky.

Isolated instrument videos on the interwebs are a great tool but don't get too wrapped up in their tones. Lots of compression and degradation and what have you

Have fun!