1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get this tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShallowBayXI, Apr 8, 2015.

1. I wouldn't really recommend listening past 1:07 for the faint of heart, but how on earth does the bassist of this band get this awesome tone?

He's using a Warwick Dolphin Pro 5, but even still, there's gotta be something more than that...

Dash Lashes, Growlmonkee and bholder like this.
  2. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    He strikes me as one of those funky "the tone is in his fingers" type guys from what I've heard from him, but I found a rundown of his rig on no treble:

"I play a 5-string custom shop Warwick Streamer Stage II, a Warwick Thumb NT 5 and a Warwick Fortress MM 5. For amplification I have an Aguilar Db750 and an AG500 with an Aguilar Db810. Other gear includes an Aguilar TLC Compressor and an Octamizer, Monster cables, D’Addario ProSteel strings for Job for a Cowboy and SIT Rockbrights for Cephalic Carnage."

New School: Nick Schendzielos

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Plus don't forget the extensive processing in the studio with Very Expensive hardware and software.

basslifter and iamthebassplayr like this.
  4. I think those warwicks are really a huge part of his tone!! and dang they sound freakin amazing!!!!

DwaynieAD likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Thanks for the warning, I was rather liking it until just after there. ;)

nuhckes8 and ShallowBayXI like this.
  6. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I may be able to find out some good details on this. Let me ask and ill update.

The tone is killer. Sounds distorted for sure. You would be amazed at what the tech21 plugin can do on a death metal record.

ShallowBayXI likes this.
  7. What, you got a problem with the Cookie Monster? Naw, I'm joking lol. I'm weird, I love Jazz, blues, rock, metal, symphonic stuff (I play trumpet), Cookie Monster music, electronic, anything really lol. This band is great IMO, just obviously not for everyone

bholder likes this.
  8. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    To me it sounds like a typical Warwick bass tone, indeed an awesome sound.
    There will also be most likely compression and eq as well.

9. the_stoot64

the_stoot64

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
    I really liked that apart from the double kick and vocals.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, I just can't help it, I hear that style of vocal, and I either get grumpy or burst out laughing, it sounds that silly to me. Like someone trying to sound intimidating and failing, massively. Avatars-cookie-monster-831965.

Kukulkan61 and ScarfFace like this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Other than the vocals (and likely lyrics), it's amazing to me how much this style of music is like one of my favorites, which for lack of a better term, I'll call "heavy prog / metal / acid jazz fusion" (see avatar). ;)

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Warwick with low action, so that when you really dig in you get a bit of fret buzz. Play hard, over the bridge pickup. Don't scoop the mids.

Osztertag2112 likes this.
  13. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Honestly the vocals grow on you. I started out the same - hating the vocals in death metal, but now I prefer screaming in heavy music to singing because singing starts to sound cheesy to me. Weird how that worked.

If you guys like this - check out old Atheist, Suffocation and Death records. They have incredible bass playing on them.

14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Definitely a studio enhanced tone...I agree it's pretty badass. I am sure it starts with the bass and the player but I bet it isn't quite as sweet sounding in a live setting as it is on this recording.

As far as the vocals, I think it's kinda amazing that the cats that scream like this have figured out how to distort their voice that much and pull it off night after night without blowing out their vocal cords.

spanndrew and monsterthompson like this.
  15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Reminds me of Mudvayne. Warwick signature at the foundation. Not sure what processing. Some lines sound more bridge pickup and others sound more neck like. In general it sounds bridge. As stated above, don't cut the mids.

basslifter, DwaynieAD and Lethgar like this.
  16. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Yeah... sounds like a Warwick.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  17. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing

Jan 23, 2014
    He presumably down-tunes as well, that'll have an effect on the tone.

18. He tunes to A standard. Like D standard but with a low A

19. "Sun Of Nihility"

Sun of Nihility, I shamefully disturb you
    My relentless knocking is constantly ignored
    I can narrowly overhear your serene breathing anymore
    Have you grown weary of spinning measureless circles across the sky?

Are you drained of feeding and decalcifying my awakening third eye
    A resting place to connect with the Earth's depths
    I lay designating my dreams as masters under composed breath
    Enraptured by the sphere of damnation

20. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    i think i hear a light distortion, but that sounds like Warwick tone to me with some hard playing/low action to get the snap of the strings against the bell-brass frets.

i haven't listened to death metal in a really long time. thanks for taking me back to high school/college.