Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get this type of finish on maple...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, May 1, 2005.

1. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

I've tried emailing the builder of this bass, but it's been nearly a week and I haven't gotten a reply. I'm assuming the top is maple with some sort of stain over it and then clear coated. The color makes the wood have a near pink tint to it. Does anyone know of the stain used or one that could get similar results?

2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    This is a dye black/sand back type of finish.

You basically dye you body a certain color, usually black but in this case pink then sand back the body until the dye is only left in the pores. The pores absorb the dye more than the rest of the wood. After that you can dye the body another color (or not, depending on what you want) and then clear coat.

What this does is highlight the grain in your figured maple (yes, it's got to be figured maple, this only highlights the grain it doesn't create any)

You can sand the dye off the body as much or as less as you want to give it less or more of a contrasting effect.

As usual try this first on scrap wood, preferably leftovers from the body you'll be making yourself.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I just want to say:

:eek: :cool:

Very beautiful.

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana

Thanks tons. Whether or not it will look nice on my piece of flamed maple is another thing, but it's always worth a shot I do suppose.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, I've heard about him; it was rather about the colour. normally pink looks funny on a bass (Daisy, anyone?), but this goes so well with it... :cool: