How to get thrash metal distortion on fender rumble 50 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robbbb, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Robbbb

Robbbb

Jan 15, 2019
    Im making a thrash band and I just got a fender rumble 50 amp. What do I change the knobs to too achieve thrash distortion. IMG_0546.JPG

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Do you know what effect boxes these bassists use?

3. Robbbb

Robbbb

Jan 15, 2019
    no

4. I doubt that amp will work well in a thrash band with any settings...

gebass6 likes this.
  5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Pedals. The amp will never do it.

Charlzm likes this.
  6. Robbbb

Robbbb

Jan 15, 2019
    ok

7. Robbbb

Robbbb

Jan 15, 2019

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Stick around.
    Someone's bound to know.
    You might want to start off with something like this, though.
    Less than a set of new strings!

[​IMG]

9. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    The thing with bass, especially in a genre which is known for it's heavily distorted guitars, is to use it subtly. Make sure you keep the bass to drive the song, rather than bury it in distortion and lose the low end.

Look for a pedal that has a "Mix" function, where it will split the signal. One signal will go through the overdrive/distortion section, the other will remain clean (and therefore retain the low end).

Greyvagabond likes this.
  10. gr8avocado

gr8avocado

Mar 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have that same amp for practice. And, believe me in a full thrash band situation with a couple guitars and drums you will struggle to even be heard with a 40watt amp. As others have said. To get a good distortion metal tone you will have to get a pedal cause this amp won't do it by itself.

11. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    SVT + 810 + P-Bass + Darkglass Alpha Omega :thumbsup:

...of course, this doesn't exactly answer your question, but it can give you a good long-term goal to go after.

12. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Your only hope on THAT amp is to kick the speaker in.
    Rock on.

13. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Depends.

Cliff Burton-ish tone is pretty well documented at this point and outlined on TB extensively if searched for. Personally not a fan of that sound, very muddy.

DD Verni (from what I understand) used an arsenal of effects to achieve his growl, up to and including double tracking bass. Could be wrong on that one, but I remember seeing that somewhere.

In my opinion, Dave Ellefson nailed the thrash bass sound. Very little distortion, it just has great tone and sounds like a hammer.

To answer your question, there isn’t an answer. You need to define what sound you want and do research. The amp itself won’t do it. I’d recommend starting with pedals (not necessarily distortion) and see what you can achieve.

14. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Let the guitarists provide the distortion sound, and let the bass fill in the bottom end. On the Rumble, I'd probably not press any of the bright/scoop/vintage buttons, keep the EQ flat (that is, the low/mid/treble knows at 120 O'Clock), but engage the overdrive. You can play with it, but try it at about noon and adjust from there. A little bit goes a long way; you'll want to play with your sound WHILE playing, not solo. What sounds good solo oftentimes sound like butt with a band.

But realistically, you're going to need a way louder amp and some pedals.

15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I'd have a nice clean fundamental and a little hair on top at the higher frequencies. Metal music already has the guitars distorted a ton. You'd disappear if you use too much distortion. It's really hard to tell without hearing but I think you can get your amp work for that. I'd stay away from the vintage button and play with the bright and contour buttons but again I gotta hear it.

16. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Why are your EQ knobs set that way?

17. That amp won’t be loud enough for any thrash band, but tone-wise, many thrash bassists use a slight amount of dirt, and a somewhat bright tone. Mids are often scooped so that the lowest notes are “felt” and not always “heard”, if that makes sense. Beyond some basic EQ and dirt suggestions, you’ll need a new amp for anything serious. And after that, depending on your exact tone goals, likely some pedals.

I use a B3K (or ODB) for my thrash tones, which also doubles for my death metal tones. Neither option is cheap. The Joyo Ultimate Drive is a dirt cheap OCD that may work for you, though.

Good luck!

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Change the knobs to get an amp with about 4 times the power and number of speakers. That's a start.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021