Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to get your tapping to "come out"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by yyz, Dec 23, 2004.

1. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    Im starting to learn to tap. But I have a problem with the actual notes being clear. Im using a Geddy Lee J-Bass (yeah I know, not the best for tapping, but I love it!), through a sans amp bass driver DI. I craked the drive all the way up, AND used a pick to tap. Its a little better, but I still wish it could be clearer. So then I tried my V-Amp (not the bass one, I use it for my guitar) cranked the gain all the way up........ STILL not clear enough. Is there anyway to make the tapping stand out? Im having a tough time. Thanks for the help!

2. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I think if you raised your highs and upper mids it might help. Also how do you use a pick to tap?

3. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    My guitarist does it.... it comes out so much better. On a guitar at least. I tried that too btw.

4. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    You probably already did this but lessen the bass and lower mids. Distortion probably doesnt help that much eiither but it could depending on pedal.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, you just gotta finger it right, ya know?

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Also, try to wrap something around the top of your neck (around the nut). This will mute the "overtones" you get when you tap a note, you know the really ugly sounding thing you get when you tap a note? It should take that away. I hope this makes some sense to you, I don't really know how to explain it.

7. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Keep your tone knob cranked and try using just bridge pickup. If that doesnt work keep tone cranked and mess around with different pickup settings

8. yyz

yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    Thanks, I will try and tell you if those things work!

9. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    maybe your action isnt low enough. i dont know your adjustments on your bass but you might need to lower it. having it high will be much harder. but mids and high mids will do the trick to get them to sound clear. and also you just started learning. its going to be hard. think of how hard it was for you to play bass when you first picked it up, you know getting the right sounds and levelness of each note. its kind of the same.

10. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    1) lose the pick.
    2) practice.
    3) make sure your action is low.
    4) practice.

Honestly, tweaking your tone will not do anything if your technique is bad and your bass isn't set up right.

The more you do it, the better you'll be able to get a nice solid note/tone.

11. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Baudin would your photo be from space ghost? Im I'm wrong excuse me for Ive never watched it only seen it on the brak show.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I belive that the scrunchie thing wasnt meant for that, to give you an example wooten uses it when he taps faster so he can mute the strings when he stops presing any fret (before starting tapping he lowers the scrunchie a little so it damps the strings lightly on the space between nut and first fret)

13. It's a little of both, muting unplayed notes and the unused portion of the string. Something up there is very handy, although I usually find it simpler to mute with my index finger.

14. Bassme

Bassme

Dec 26, 2004
    St-Louis
    tapping with a pick does not exist, thats what you call picking ... to really bring out your tapping use effets and some basses are set for picks which is harder for tap so you might wanna go to your local guitar store/center and ahve that set

15. ???

Of course it exists. It's just like tapping, but you press the string with a pick rather than with your fingers.

16. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    perhaps a little chorus might bring it out?

I'm having alittle trouble getting a similar volume as when i play with my fingers but i'm just having to prac tapping harder and more precisely and perhaps playing a little less forcibly when i use fingers so that my overall volume output is relatively even...

Dodge

17. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Close. It's Capt. Murphy from Sealab 2021. Part of Adult Swim (like SGC2C).

18. Much of the sound you get is dependant on how you hit the string. Try tapping with your left hand first and get used to hitting it with enough force to get the sound you want. Then emulate that with your right hand. Do this with all fingers.

Also, you can try using a compressor to even out your note volumes. Though, I rarely use my compressor. I generally just hit my turbo-boost on my Eden pre-amp and try to remember to turn it off when I go back to playing normally.

Hey Jean, how did my tapping stuff sound at the Plough that night? Could you hear the notes clearly.

- Dave