how to give my bass a makeover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwig, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    ive seen some amazing jobs that people have done making over their bass.
    but i cant find steps on how to go about this long tedious but in the end a totally worth while task.

im waiting in the mail for a vintage gibson grabber..and im sitting with a squier p-bass..

i just wanna have some fun and learn, can someone list some steps on what to do.

im looking for a natural wood finish (i know, on a squier it would look terrible) but id really like to try it.

thanks alot.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Rip it apart entirely. Take every screw and pick of non-wood off that you can.
    Then put a stripper on the body, but don't let it go down to the wood. When you get a lot of th paint off, tkae some sand paper and sand away!
    One you get the body nice and even, with no swirls or scratches (they'll show up in the finish if you leave them, so take them out now), take a damp cloth and wipe over the body repeatidly. Make sure you get every piece of dust off of it (or you'll regret it as well).
    Let the body dry for sometime (I usually let mine go over night).
    Then start spraying away! Choose your finish and go at it. Take it slow though, do many light coats, with a 5 minuteish wait between each coat. When your done spraying the finish take a HIGH numbered sandpaper (like 3000 or higher if you can find it), wet the body, wet the sandpaper, and rub over it.
    Do a google search on wet-sanding to find out more of what that'll buy ya.

3. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I'll second the sanding recomendation. Getting all the scratches out of the bare wood before putting on your first coats of finish will save plenty of cursing and thrown tools.

I went with a tung oil finish myself. Assuming your work area is clean and dust free, it can pull off a pretty mean natural look (it'll darken the wood a bit too). 12-24 hours between rubbed in coats, lightly polished with the finest steel wool after each coat dries.

And the squire wood grain might look a little boring, but with a little work, it'll look better than ugly :).
  4. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    thanks alot.
  5. Pop into the "Luthiers" forum once in awhile and you can pick up plenty of information on finishing and the like.