Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to go about buying a db

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dbgirl, Sep 11, 2001.

1. dbgirl

dbgirl

Sep 11, 2001
    I'm wondering if any of you can help me. I'm from England which probably doesn't help matters but anything you can tell me would be a great help. I'm now 21 and I've been playing since I was 10, up until 2 years ago, when I moved to university. My university does not have any double basses to provide and the lack of one is driving me crazier by the day. I'm looking to buy one but don't really know where to start regards type, price anything. I'm generally a bit in the dark about all this and the only thing I really know about it is how to play well and how much I love it and miss it!!!
    Please help, any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
  3. Thanks, Erik. Also check out www.gollihur.com (All hail!) for a listing of luthiers, and possibly a shop near you.

4. Sorry this is nothing to do with the original thread but not to worry. Steve Chase I see you are from the Island, same here. You don't happen to know of any good double bass teachers on the island, I'm thinking about lessons at school (carisbrooke high). Been playing electric for about a year now, thanks, Ben

5. Hello Ben,no i`m looking for a teacher myself,i have only been playing a short time (18 months)If i find one i will email you and let you know.
    Nice to see another TBer on the Island though,especially if you are interested in DB,feel free to email me if i can be of any help.

6. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Buy the one you love, assuming it's in your price range.
    Make sure it's playable, and doesn't need any repair, since repairs can be very costly.