1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to go about learning Prog lines.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Mar 14, 2013.

1. So yeah I love prog, I love the busy basslines and the general "torrent of instruments" type of sound.

But I'm having severe difficulties..

For example, the first verse section of "In The Cage" by Genesis is throwing me for a particular loop right now (I haven't even got to the rapid fire 16ths at the end of the song.)

Even just the different variations between the A# and F#are throwing me off..

How do players like Chris Squire and Mike Rutherford memorize these lines to the point where they can play them the same every time?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    It's a secret technique known only to them. I heard someone call it....."practice"....and lots of it. ;)

Dont mean to be flippant, but I cant think of any other method.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Well, they are the ones that wrote the lines so you tend to remember them. And, fear is right, practice is the key. There are no shortcuts. Just have to put in the time.

4. Smart guy

Smart guy

Oct 22, 2012
    NYC
    I say, practice that song until YOU can play it some what effortlessly.
    You will have learned so much that will enable you to knock these types of lines, effortlessly. Your own way of course.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Simple answer: I doubt they are playing it the same way every time. Remember they wrote the songs. They are probably going for a feel more than the actual individual notes.

Instead of thinking: this note, now this note, now this note. They are thinking: this chord, this chord, nice little run here, signature riff here. The only part they memorize is the signature riff. Because it is them, they will basically play it close to the same way every time.

Does that make sense?

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Practice Practice. I used to breakdown songs by parts and focus on dominating sections first.