1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to groove a badass bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SG-Jazz, Sep 26, 2008.

1. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I have one installed but not grooved, plays fine, how can i homemade groove? A drill possibly?

2. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Just a file will work fine.

3. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I have not tried it personally but a part time local luthier told me that you can leave them flat, especially if stringing the instrument with flatwound strings.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I usually use a triangle file and make just file enough of a scratch in the top of the saddle to keep the string from drifting around.

If it becomes an issue later I'll take my nut files to the saddles and make grooves to half the depth of the string and canted down slightly towards the string anchor.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've done it two ways... a plain old Metal file, and with a Dremel Tool with a small bic pen shaped grinding bit.

Personally I feel I got better results with the Dremel as I could easily control the width of the slot with the wider part of the Dremel bit. Probably best to start the slot with a file though to keep yourself from creeping.

6. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the tips everyone will try