1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Groove

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DocBop, Jul 17, 2007.

1. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That question keeps coming up on this board well the best way to learn is to listen and here's two YouTubes that are great lessons in groove. Both are D'Angelo

Pino and I believe Amir Thompson on drums

This time with Marcus Miller and some British guitarist

This is what groove is all about, simple in the pocket playing. They are saying more with a few notes than shedders playing thousands of notes. This is stuff even yo mama would be bouncing to while cooking your breakfast. :bassist:

2. that British guitarist would be Eric Clapton, thank you very much ;)

3. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    pretty cool videos, anyone else got more?

4. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    That D'Angelo guy almost kills that killer groove Pino is laying down. :meh:

5. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    I felt the same way. It seems to me that modern R&B vocalists are too often guilty of singing when they ought not to be. Sometimes it seems like they're not even listening to the notes being played underneath. I'm not a fan of the genre, or of Marvin Gaye, but I don't get that same feeling when I hear one of Gaye's songs.

I probably just don't "get it."

6. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Being that Marvin Gaye was a house drummer at Motown before they made him a solo artist, so he knew what groove was all about.

I'm not talking about you, but I would say some people don't get it. They are so into chops and volume they don't get the magic of a rhythm section locking in whether it be swing, groove, rock, or any style of music. They all have their term for when everyone locks in, the time is tight, and players are complementing each other not competing. Not some indivisuals onstage who happen to start and stop together (hopefully), but a musicians playing together sounding as a unit and making the music come alive.

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Great grooves! I liked especially the latter song.

Here's one of a Swedish superfunky group (with Maceo Parker as guest star), Nils Landgren Funk Unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KiOfEkZ4R8

That is my definition of the ultimate groove. ;)

It looks like the bassist is Lars Danmark Danielsson, one of the most famous bassists in Scandinavia, I think. He has played with a great number of big international stars. He played last year at a concert in a local jazz club and that one was GREAT!!! He knows what a groove is for sure! He was a very nice guy to talk to, also.

8. Yo that second clip is MY JOINT!!! Not only one of my fav songs but an all star lineup. Now that is greasy groovin baby.

And +1000 to what Doc said.

9. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Yeah. The groove is great. D'Angelo couldn't sing Bill Withers to save his life. Ok I'm exaggerating, but he just doesn't sing that song with the right feeling.

10. ^^ kinda what he said. The original Withers 'Use Me' is not too shabby itself. Quite a bit better than this one, IMO. And don't forget 'Ain't No Sunshine'

how's about this one:

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I can't watch youtube here at work...so, judging by the other posts, I'm assuming it's D'Angelo & the Legends band (Clapton, Marcus, Gadd, Sanborn, et al) doing a cover of Bill Withers' "Use Me".
    If so, IMO, it's a great job by all...except Clapton. His solo is pretty lame(IMHO). I mean, really...listen to it. ;)

12. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    That D'Angelo is just darn cool. It took this old white boy a while to really appreciate a funk groove.

This would be my offering for groove

Masters of Groove

No hubris in the name either. They are just that. Though maybe afer seeing Dangelo they should bill themselves as the grandfathers of groove.

13. Pretty Purdie!

14. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Purdie and Jemmot who could ask for anything more. The King Curtis Live at the Filmore is one of my all time favorite album.

15. DocBop, this is how to groove. Or how i would love to hear a D'angelo pocket. It's very busy yes, but when you listen to it there is space there that the drummer is leaving and the 'runs' that the bassist is doing are spectacular. It's complimenting/flavoring the groove so much.

Questlove & Pino do not groove to me. They may be the homies and all dat other stuff but Questlove has zero feel in his playing, it's lacking a warmness to it, that's the only way i can describe it. It's one of the main reasons that his own group can't sell records, to be honest with you.

Pino is a big named guy, but his forte isn't soul music. Yes, Pino has versatility, but trying to mimic 'a black style of playing' just wont do. I'm so sick of guys thinking that this is the pinnacle of playing, as Voodoo has to be one of the most disappointing records i've ever heard.

You get so no named gospel cats and listen to them side by side of Questlove & Pino & it's a night and day difference, imho.

16. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    We are going to disagree about Ahmir and Pino. I think Ahmir is the modern day Al Jackson.

I listen to a lot of Gospel at church and on CD. I'm big fan of Fred Hammon, Mo Fitzgerald, Snoop Evans, Taddious Tribbet, Andre Gouche and others. But the problem with Gospel today is they go crazy catching and putting too many punches in. It starts losing the groove when you're jumping out of the pocket to repeatedly punch things. I know I'm not alone in this feeling, but hey I'm old (school.) :D

But you are right Gospel grooves.

17. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Mmmmm, Pino. Goes down nice and easy like a nice Pinot Noir.

18. the groove must be learned dudes

try P-Funk or some rubber band.

Funk is almost always in the pocket real good

and Bootsy, IS the funk.

19. That sounds more like swing to me.

I will contribute also: of the best bassist in argentina, my compatriot Javier Malosetti:

The guy plays mostly jazzy tunes with funk spice. Enjoy :D

20. You're right DocBop on a few things. Those gospel guys will freak a simple chord progression in a sensational way and are notorious for overdoing 'punches' (fills) although those ' rightfully executed punches' distinguishes them from 'an average bass player'. Almost like having a handwritten letter vs one that is beautifully written in cursive.

Yes, it certainly does depend upon the listener. My ears and my insides don't respond at all, to anything Questlove ever plays on, and certainly not after hearing a church drummer 'lay it down' proper.

Questlove style of playing is suited for emo rock, or pop not r&b, imo. (Maroon 5, Fall Out Boy etc) How he pulls down all those gigs speaks more to his interpersonal skills and his immense physical stature.

If D'angelo can pull it together long enough, i can almost guarantee that Quest & Pino will be absent this go around.